SS utility light

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

SS utility light

Post by Ed in Tampa »

One of the last e-mail specials included the untility light, so I order it.
I put a florescent bulb in it and I now have mixed emotions. I'm not convinced it was a wise move.
What I wanted was plenty of light and while it seems bright enough I'm wondering if a regular 100 watt bulb would be better. I have tried the two and I "think" the florescent one is brighter and that is more or less confirmed by the package where they list the luminance.

However I'm wondering if I based my judgement on the packaging claims instead of actual science, and if it is really brighter or just a different color along with sales hype that is making me think the way I do.

What type bulb are you all using in the utility light.
Ed
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

I use the florescent, mostly because it doesn't need replaced so often because the filament can't break when moving it but also because of the chose in light types. I like the daylight bulbs they seem brighter and clearer.
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

I like the fluorescent bulbs, too, but I kept seeing a "strobe" effect when I was using the lathe, and it bugged me. Maybe it was just my imagination? Anyway, I changed back to a regular incandescent bulb and no more problems.

Gary
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

greitz wrote:I like the fluorescent bulbs, too, but I kept seeing a "strobe" effect when I was using the lathe, and it bugged me. Maybe it was just my imagination? Anyway, I changed back to a regular incandescent bulb and no more problems.

Gary
Did the same here. As a matter of fact the incandescent in the utility light will also help to negate the strobe effect if your shop lights use fluorescent bulbs when you are turning.
BPR
cowboyplus
Gold Member

Post by cowboyplus »

greitz wrote:I like the fluorescent bulbs, too, but I kept seeing a "strobe" effect when I was using the lathe, and it bugged me. Maybe it was just my imagination? Anyway, I changed back to a regular incandescent bulb and no more problems.

Gary

Fluorescent bulbs produce light by directly and instantly exciting the metal mercury in a vapor mixed with another gas, (rather than making a heated filament glow), and this exciting actually turns the light off and on twice during an AC power cycle (120 times a second on America&#8217]minimized, but not elimated,[/B] by using a spot or flood fluorescent bulb which delivers not only the initial light, but also the slightly delayed light being reflected by the mirror finish on the back side of the bulb. This bulb also gives more usable light for the same wattage.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Gary
You very well may have seen a "strobe effect" and would NOT see turning imperfections. The fluorescent light would fill in the shadows of slight ridges and make it appear smooth.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Hmmm, NOT see my turning imperfections? That sounds like a plus to me!

Thanks for the explanations, guys. Cowboyplus, I'll take a look at spot or flood fluorescents. Thanks!

Gary
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

This subject reminds me of the old days with the 4 foot tube bulbs. They used a magnetic ballast and had the 60 cycle "strobe" effect. These have been replaced over time with a 20,000 rate electronic system and since that happen I have not see the stobe effect in the shop.

The new CFL I believe started at 20,000 and the newer ones are more like 100,000 (I believe it was a cost saving to go to the higher freq.). So now I'm wondering why people are seeing the strobe effect again. It would seem to me this would not happen....

Since people are seeing it can some one explain why?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I've got three florescent tubes in my shop that are as old as dust. They have been replaced once since being installed and that was with tubes that I acquired when I put up the fixtures. The whole works was purchased from the AF salvage yard here at the AF base while I was still active duty. I retired in 1979. You decide how old the tubes are.

They might still be from that era when strobing was not unexpected. Hmmm, I've got two spare ballast transformers stuffed away somewhere. No more tubes though.

Maybe I'll update one of these days.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

reible wrote:Hi,

This subject reminds me of the old days with the 4 foot tube bulbs. They used a magnetic ballast and had the 60 cycle "strobe" effect. These have been replaced over time with a 20,000 rate electronic system and since that happen I have not see the strobe effect in the shop.

The new CFL I believe started at 20,000 and the newer ones are more like 100,000 (I believe it was a cost saving to go to the higher freq.). So now I'm wondering why people are seeing the strobe effect again. It would seem to me this would not happen....

Since people are seeing it can some one explain why?

Ed
Al thought I can't tell you why - I'll tell you a story about the newer 1/2" florescent tubes. To my knowledge they are driven with an electronic box - no transformers. They are a lot brighter than the old 3/4" tubes. One fixture with two bulbs lights my wifes sewing room up like daylight.

Here's the funny part: Here room's TV got effected by ghosts - started to gain and lose volume all by itself. It also sometimes changed channels all by itself. Or so we thought! After a bit of head scratching, I put some black electricians tape over the infra-red sensor (used for remote control) and all weird ghosts disappeared. There is peace again in her hobby room.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA