New SS Decisions. 520 Pro-Fence or Jointech

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Router tables and routing one of my favor subjects. I'm also the last one who should comment since I feel one can never have enough router gear.

I have been getting along with 9 or 10 router tables and got the jointech system to see if I could do away with a few of them. So far I gave one router and table to one of my sons and that now makes me even with where I was minus one router.

The problem is no matter what people think is the best router table no one router table does everything well, at least I have not seen one that does. So if you can have several tables you can work between them and use this one for this and that one for that, that is as good as it gets. I still plan to get down to maybe 6 or so... don't know if I can go any lower then that.

Now I have the older OPR and I love it to bits (bits, get it?) but it is not good for everything. A good number of projects can be done but no where near all of them. I know you have seen edge treatments done with the OPR but that does not mean that it is the best tool for that. Thus the standard under the table setup should not be forgotten and in fact it will do a better job on some project then the OPR. So if I had to pick I would still have to go with the standard router table. Now if we go to other projects the pin router becomes a very powerful tool, given the choice of pin router I have to say that is my favorite toy so I just have to have that too.

I have both the Incra ultra router table system and the jointech shopsmith setup. If you want to do some precision work and special joints they are the way to go. I know of no other way to do some of the things these machines can do without having the machine. Maybe with a lot of effort and setup time and lots of hit and miss operations one could do it but who has that much time??

I am not a fan of the shopsmith as a router. It does work for some operations but I have just as good or better results using a real router. The addition of the speed increaser might make it more useable but I can not say one way or the other as I have never used it. It does get in the low range of router speed at 10K rpms. Keep in mind routers often run in the upper speed settings near 28K to 30K rpm range. I did use my shopsmith early on but once I got more into routers I gave up on the shopsmith.

I have a few collections of setups ideas for both the OPR and Jointech system as well as the old shopsmith joint-matic. If you go to this site you can look at what I have photo's of:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12199425@N02/sets/

Keep in mind some of what you see is with the newer Jointech system and that may or may not work the same as what you have.

I'm in the "part with tools only when they pry them out of your cold dead hands" group. I do make exceptions but they are exceptions.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Once again - It's GREAT, having you back with us again, Ed! Life just hasn't been the same without you!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
sswoodworker48
Gold Member

Post by sswoodworker48 »

Yes, Ed, it is great to have you back! I (I'm certain I could say WE) have learned so much from your posts. You're such a great teacher. Please, stick around.
Rick
---------------------------
Shopsmith owner since 1982
510, 520, belt sander, strip sander, jointer, scroll saw, band saw, dust collector, OPR, Flatmaster sander.
matpoh
Silver Member

Post by matpoh »

OK, thanks for all the good info. I spent a bunch of time looking at the pictures from Ed, and am amazed by all his work. I need to take some time and set up each router config and use each a bit.

I went ahead and took some pics of some items and since there seem to be a few Jointech owners here, I added some pics of those items as well. Most are stuff I am not 100% sure what they are used for.

Pic 1 is all Jointech stuff I think. Again, just wondering what they are for.

Second pic is shopsmith stuff but just really wanted to know if there is a way to tell if this is a two-bearing quill or not. The original machine was a 510 and I thought all of them came from the factory with the two-bearing quill. If so, why would the original owner install/buy a second?

Third pic is stuff that I dont think belong to either the SS or Jointech, I just am unsure what they are/for. Suggestions?

Last pic is a set of what was labeled 32" bars. Not sure what they are for.

Comments welcome.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi, some of the stuff I can tell you about but others I just don't know about.

In picture 1 the first part is from the Jointech system, it is the VPF frame, VPF is the Vertical Push Fixture but you are missing many pieces to get it functional... hope you have them. The second item looks to be stop block again from Jointech. Third item??

Second picture is as you said a quill. The only way to really know if the headstock is from a 510 or an upgraded 500 is to check the serial number. The used 510 I got had a sticker with 510r but not everyone who upgraded put the sticker on. It is also possible to wear out the quill bearings thus perhaps a repair was done... or like you this person that owned this last might have gotten a tub of extra parts and this was part of that. The second item is from an OPR it the front part that holds the router on to that arm.

Third picture starts with looks like a part for a Porter Cable router, I guess that is called an edge guide or some such words. The rest of the items look like something I should know but right now it's not coming back to me...

The last picture could be from the Jointech stuff but I have nothing that looks like that in my setup. The style of the plastic turn deals looks like the ones in the first picture so I would say they are related.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Matpoh - I can help a bit on photos 3 and 4. - - You can tell a 1 bearing quill from a 2 bearing by feel. See the first four minutes of Sawdust Session #24 (Rebuilding the quill....) Then copy this link to your favorites for future reference on all kinds of SS info. http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm

The other item in photo 3 is a router clamp for a Shopsmith overarm router. This is the outer clamp only. I think it is for the fixed post OPR,although it may fit on the Mk V mounted version.

Going to photo #4 - - the paddle looking thing with three holes is a drill centering device for three different sized drills. The one I have is made of orange plastic and is a major part of a doweling kit.

The top most item in that same pix looks like a fence used on a router. You'll have to look for the router this fits.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Yep in the 2nd pic. That IS a quill, which might be bad. Notice the rust on it and the flat spot looks a little chewed up. See how it turns. Just might be a throw away..............to Dusty.:)
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
billmayo
Platinum Member

New SS Decisions. 520 Pro-Fence or Jointech

Post by billmayo »

The quill ia a Poly-V quill. If there is any play (sideways movement), it is a single bearing. I normally just shake the quill and if there is any metal to metal noise, it is a single bearing quill. Looking from the splined end when turning the shaft, you should not see any bearing or spacer movement about 2" inside the housing if it is a 2 bearing quill.

I too, am happy to accept broken/unneeded/throw away Shopsmith Mark V parts/items and will pay postage for shipping to me.
beeg wrote:Yep in the 2nd pic. That IS a quill, which might be bad. Notice the rust on it and the flat spot looks a little chewed up. See how it turns. Just might be a throw away..............to Dusty.:)
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

beeg wrote:Yep in the 2nd pic. That IS a quill, which might be bad. Notice the rust on it and the flat spot looks a little chewed up. See how it turns. Just might be a throw away..............to Dusty.:)
If your shipping, I'll receive and stock.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jdramsey
Gold Member

router table style

Post by jdramsey »

I went to Rick Davis' Traveling Academy a couple of years ago. He was honest enough to say that he didn't like the overarm router system. I've only used a router table.