New SS Decisions. 520 Pro-Fence or Jointech

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

matpoh
Silver Member

New SS Decisions. 520 Pro-Fence or Jointech

Post by matpoh »

I acquired a 510 setup from a local guy who wanted to clean his garage for the winter. Got a great deal on it but I already have a 510 and no real need for it so the plan was to keep some of the parts for myself and sell off the rest. When I got all the stuff home, it turns out this was originally a 510 that the owner upgraded to a 520, and then "upgraded" again to a Jointech Saw-Train system with router base.

I was just looking for some opinions on whether I should keep the 520 Pro-Fence setup for myself and sell the Jointech stuff or keep the Jointech and sell off the 520. Either would be an upgrade to my 510. Also, I have a nice router base in the jointech, and the overarm router for the SS along with the speed increaser, which if I understand correctly, can be use as a router as well. Which of the three routing systems should I keep?

I also added a couple pictures of the loot I got for my $400. I got a mortise and tennon attachment, a speed increaser, shaping fence, cross cut sled, grinding wheel, biscuit jointer, etc., along with a jigsaw and jointer. I still have three other rubbermaid totes full of stuff most still boxed and never opened. There is a few items I am unsure what they are for. If a few are interested in playing the match game, I can post some pic of the stuff I cant identify.

naccrr28
Silver Member

Congrats!!

Post by naccrr28 »

What a haul!! I like the little red dragster/hot rod the best though.:p
Charlie - Danbury Ct.
510, planer, jointer, belt sander and bandsaw.
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

Man, I would keep both systems. I would keep the new one as is, in the tablesaw mode with router, and use your 510 for other operations such as drilling, lathe.

Wish I could find a deal like that.
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I sort of envy you. I wish I had your decision to make. However, if I did, I would really take my time. You don't want to rush a decision like this. It might take several big projects to get a reliable analysis. Boy, life can be tough.:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

I agree with shydragon - you should keep both systems! However, if you MUST rid yourself of one I'd recommend keeping the one with the Jointech set-up. That system gives you a wealth of capabilities. I notice the thing has the Jointech rails. If it is aligned properly (which you should check) you can make joints for boxes and furniture with it which will water people's eyes! If you don't have the manuals you can get them here: www.jointech.com.

Dusty also has a very good point. Don't make a hasty decision. Every time I've done that I ended up regretting it. Enjoy having both until you get to use them together and make an informed decision.

The Jointech will do everything the Incra system sold by Shopsmith will do. Some have argued over which system is best but I have the Jointech and have played with the Incra and in my opinion they both do the same things and are pretty much identical in ease of use and results.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

matpoh wrote:...There is a few items I am unsure what they are for. If a few are interested in playing the match game, I can post some pic of the stuff I cant identify.
I like those kinds of challenges....:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

You hit a home run with this haul, why wouldn't you keep them both?
Upgrade the 510 to a 520 and you have a dream set-up.

If I ran across a deal like that you'd never get it away from me.;)
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Sounds like you had an early Christmas!

If you have the space two shopsmiths are nice to have. Not only do you have a spare in case one brakes down you also have the option of leaving one set up for vertial drilling operations while the second is set up as a saw... or you pick the operations.

The Jointech system is the earlier one they had for shopsmith. The newer version makes use of the 520 rail system and is the one I have. The set up is some what different then I'm use to but I'm sure it will work as well as any of the jointech stuff. Just to give you an idea the current 520 system from them runs over $800 without the router table rails! I own both Jointech and Incra system and they are really nice to have, I however did pick the Jointech system for my shopsmith over the Incra system... so I'm on that side of the fence.

How ever you look at, or what ever you decide to do it you should have some fun days ahead!

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
matpoh
Silver Member

Post by matpoh »

From the responses, I am seeing two is probably the best bet, but I really dont have the space for two. My thoughts are to take one as a complete 510 and sell it and keep the Jointech stuff and the 520 tables and such and just experiment with both setups. I used my 510 all summer to re-do our basement and am now having fun brainstorming the next set of projects I can attack.

I do have some pics I can take of some stuff that I am uncertain what it is for. I will post some more pics tomorrow.
matpoh
Silver Member

Post by matpoh »

Also, any thoughts on the router setup? Overarm....under the table w/speed increaser....fixed base on Jointech?