Recent adoptions - Joint-Matic and 10ER

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Recent adoptions - Joint-Matic and 10ER

Post by edma194 »

Everything else matches the survey data for serial# 58216, so nothing special about this one. Is anyone keeping the survey up to date?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

To my knowledge no one is updating that survey. It was started by Skip Campbell and later Everett Davis added information to it. None of the 9 Model 10E or the 14 Model 10ER Shopsmiths I own or have owned are on that survey. Since I first saw the survey it has been as it is now, unchanged to my recollection. I was restoring Shopsmith's for some time before joining the Forum here.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Now that I've had some time to just pick up these parts and get some 10ER info I'm pretty impressed. This thing is a sturdy beast. The Mark V was a step up with the speed dial and integral bench construction, but not as great as I used to think. I would have been ecstatic to have one of these if I lived in the 40s, it's no wonder they were flying off the shelf at Montgomery Wards.

This machine just has to wait a while. I'm just starting to get back on my feet now, and a long list of projects to finish. And if I'm lucky I'll actually get to turn a bowl soon.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Don't feel that you have to completely restore it before you can use it. I you wish, get it back together in working order and enjoy. One thing you do not want to do is follow the manual on maintenance. It recommends using oil on the way tubes. That only causes a gummy mess as dust collects there. Later the makers of the Shopsmith tools recommended using Johnsons Paste Wax on metal parts and still recommend paste wax today. See the attached PDF for replacement maintenance instructions for the Model 10's based on the Mark 5 recommendations. Pretty much all of the bare metal surfaces can benefit from waxing.
Waxing Supplement Model 10s.pdf
(226.53 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
One of the interesting thing I have noticed about the Model 10's over the Mark 5 which replaced it was the speed range available for the Model 10 with a Speed Changer. The Mark 5 has a speed range of 700 to 5200 RPMs but the Model 10's with a speed changer has a range of 425 to 6800 RPMs with only a small gap in speeds between the low and high ranges. Of course, the Power Pro headstock has a much wider range. If you do not have a Speed Changer for your Model 10ER you still can use the 7 different speeds available. I know the manual and other sources say it is a 3 speed tool but it can have 7 by moving the pulleys and realigning the pulley combinations used.
Table of Speeds Model 10s.pdf
(182.91 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote:Don't feel that you have to completely restore it before you can use it. I you wish, get it back together in working order and enjoy.
I'm sure I'm going to play with it soon. I don't know quite what I'll do, but it should be in working order and it's in my nature to play with tools.

One of the interesting thing I have noticed about the Model 10's over the Mark 5 which replaced it was the speed range available for the Model 10 with a Speed Changer. The Mark 5 has a speed range of 700 to 5200 RPMs but the Model 10's with a speed changer has a range of 425 to 6800 RPMs with only a small gap in speeds between the low and high ranges. Of course, the Power Pro headstock has a much wider range. If you do not have a Speed Changer for your Model 10ER you still can use the 7 different speeds available. I know the manual and other sources say it is a 3 speed tool but it can have 7 by moving the pulleys and realigning the pulley combinations used.
I did see some notes about the speed range somewhere. It's a satisfactory range of speeds. I wish the Mark 5 had a slower speed, one of the reasons I wanted a PowerPro head was the slower speed for turning large objects. The weight of the 10ER could make it a better lathe for that if the spindle can handle the weight.

And somehow there's always room for one more. Years back I purchased a 10ER after just going to look at it, and then gave it to my older son to use. I asked him a few times recently if he was still using it and to get the serial # for it. He finally got back to me and told me it's been in the basement of the last place he lived for a few years now. It's still there, not far away, and I'll arrange to go pick that up soon. I remember it didn't have a complete set of parts, but I don't recall any other details. Looks like I'll have spare parts. I'm not really into selling out parts but it's going to be time to do that with all the extra Mark 5 parts I have already, and now maybe some 10ER piece too.
Ed from Rhode Island

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I believe the Model 10's spindle can handle weight as well as a Mark series tool. There is a you tube video out there showing a guy who set up a Mark V with a Power Pro and another Mark to turn a 10 foot replacement post for his house. Check the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQbzEz0-7X0
Russ

Mark V 520
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Now I have 10ER #26585. It's in ok shape but needs more cleaning than the other one. It was already listed in the survey, not sure who Gregg Jones, could be the guy I bought it from, but I hardly remember that, it was at least 8 years ago. I'll sort through all the parts and post some pictures eventually, but I think this will sit until #58528 is restored, and that's not at the top of the list either.
Attachments
10ER 26585 nameplate.jpg
10ER 26585 nameplate.jpg (122.98 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
10ER survey 26585.jpg
10ER survey 26585.jpg (14.49 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
Ed from Rhode Island

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

It is important to note that you have Serial Number ER26585 not just 26585 and it was made in the eastern plant. Somewhere out there is S/N R26585 and is a 10E made in the western plant before yours. The R was added to the western plant serial numbers beginning around the time 26585 was made there.
Russ

Mark V 520
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The 10s are fascinating, I'm still working my way through your What When and Where thread. There's been a great appeal to me in the Mark V machines and the great compatibility of parts over time, wonderful on a simple functional basis. To me those machines are like Legos to assemble and take apart as needed. The myriad details in the evolution of model 10s is a whole new world to me. I'll get up to speed some day, and I'm finding the journey enjoyable already.
Ed from Rhode Island

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Mark 5 and V like the Model 10E and 10ER have been a work in progress with many changes over the years. Some of the changes can be added to an earlier version of the tool individually. Others must be changed as an assembly. As an example, going from the original Gilmer drive to the Poly V drive requires changing not only the belt but parts on the Idler Shaft, the Drive Sleeve Assembly and the Quill Assembly. An early change was the addition of the Bearing Retainer to keep the Idler Shaft Assembly in place. That part was a simple add on for the first Mark 5's without it. It and the clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly were two of the first changes made to the Mark 5 to address issues found. Some parts have remained the same over the years like the Quill Return Spring and the Quill Bumper Ring. They are the same as the ones used on the Model 10's. Other parts may look the same from the first mark 5 until now but many have had minor changes. The belt cover although still the same shape and size has had several changes.
Russ

Mark V 520