Introduction

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Re: Introduction

Post by SkullsquadronX »

I got two Shopsmith a ‘82 MV 500 upgraded to a 520 and one I bought pieces off of eBay out too a M7. I got 6 floating tables, 2 end tables, and 2 main tables. I’d like to add 2 more floating tables and main tables down the road.
Attachments
E39BA046-98AE-4E71-A09A-C372D18BBC15.jpeg
E39BA046-98AE-4E71-A09A-C372D18BBC15.jpeg (116.75 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
3A8040A7-F439-4216-A686-36C376A132A6.jpeg
3A8040A7-F439-4216-A686-36C376A132A6.jpeg (147.96 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BigSky wrote:Thank you. This tells me why I might need more than two tubes. I just never thought to set up this way because I have my own in feed out feed tables. I also do not have that many floating tables.
Nor that many aux tables.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As you can see from the above post collecting Shopsmiths can be addicting. Many of us have more than one Shopsmith tool. I myself have two Mark V's with one completely upgraded to a Mark 7. I also have a Model 10ER, a 10E plus 2 10E's being restored and a Mark 2 to be restored. One of the 10E's being restored will be sold after it is finished.

As to having 4 27" connector tubes, most setups using the floating tables require 4 connector tubes. I do not know if your manual includes it but my Mark V 520 Manual from 1999 has a page of optional setups at the end of the assembly and alignment section. It shows 9 different ways to set up the main, extension and floating tables for different operations. Of course there are many more ways to set them up as shown in the previous posts. Having 4 connector tubes will add a lot more versatility to your Shopsmith set ups. Having the 5' connector tubes can add even more.

Like SkullsquadronX I have more available extension and floating tables and connector tubes. I have 2 of the 5' connector tubes plus a least 6 non Shopsmith 5' plus tubes I can use. If I can dream up a set up I can pretty much put it together. Flexibility is one of the big advantages to having a Shopsmith tool system.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

If my starting point was 'I have this 510 but it is missing the connector tubes' I would be looking for longer 1" OD tubes to cut myself. I would probably make two at the 27" length, but I think if I had something between 36" and 48" that is what I would use most often. After you have four tubes you can grow into what else you would like as you use other setups, and possibly add regular and floating extension tables. The large table extension shown above with four floating and two regular extension tables looks like it uses three 60" -ish tubes.

I would use stainless, though I have nothing against the plated version that SS uses. I would go with much thicker walls, probably 0.120. (11 gauge, IIRC) That is especially important on long tubes for strength and rigidity.

Short tubes can also be useful. I have a pair of the 18" tubes as shown in the table extension pic posted above by SkullsquadronX and I use them all the time. But I sometimes wish they were 20" so I think that is the shortest I'd use if I made them myself. 18" will not make it through a main table and those extension brackets.

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote:If my starting point was 'I have this 510 but it is missing the connector tubes' I would be looking for longer 1" OD tubes to cut myself. I would probably make two at the 27" length, but I think if I had something between 36" and 48" that is what I would use most often. After you have four tubes you can grow into what else you would like as you use other setups, and possibly add regular and floating extension tables. The large table extension shown above with four floating and two regular extension tables looks like it uses three 60" -ish tubes.

I would use stainless, though I have nothing against the plated version that SS uses. I would go with much thicker walls, probably 0.120. (11 gauge, IIRC) That is especially important on long tubes for strength and rigidity.

Short tubes can also be useful. I have a pair of the 18" tubes as shown in the table extension pic posted above by SkullsquadronX and I use them all the time. But I sometimes wish they were 20" so I think that is the shortest I'd use if I made them myself. 18" will not make it through a main table and those extension brackets.

- David
That is a picture of my SS before I built the dedicated shop in 2009. There are three 5' ShopSmith tubes and two 27" ShopSmith tubes.

I totally agree with the thick wall stainless idea. I bought two 6' lengths of 1" OD X .120" wall X .760" ID 304 Stainless Round Tubes online from Metals Depot. They are very rigid. I have four 5' Shopsmith tubes and they all have a very slight curve to them. The stainless tubes are very straight. I like the 6' length because if I have both fixed tables mounted I can add a floating table to the out board side of one of them.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Jefblery47
Bronze Member

Post by Jefblery47 »

Hey i am also new here. Hey to all
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Post by SkullsquadronX »

Hey, welcome to the group Jefblery47.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I too extend my welcome to jefblery. Tell us about yourself and your woodworking aspirations but please start a new thread to do that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.