Introduction

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Introduction

Post by JPG »

Your last pix shows the ball check valve. Make sure it is not stuck.

You REALLY do not want to know HOW those two parts come apart.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
markjunelleharmon
Bronze Member

Post by markjunelleharmon »

Hello, We are new to this forum. We just got a 510 at a garage sale this past weekend. It was built in March of 1999, but has NEVER been used! The power cord is still rolled up as it came from the factory, the bandsaw was still factory-sealed in its box, and almost all the parts and documentation is there, including the original owner's purchase receipt. So far, the only thing missing are the two 1" x 27" tubes for the extension table. We are looking forward to using it, but just have been too busy so far this week to get down to the garage to make some sawdust. A good dust-off will be needed, followed by cleaning off a very small amount of rust on the ways, then waxing them up.
I grew up building things but an electrician by trade, but not much finish carpentry yet. Looking forward to learning more and building some nice furniture and other things!
Nvmarv
Silver Member

Post by Nvmarv »

Ball not stuck and yes need to replace the gasket :D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Considering what it takes to 'replace' it, I would try to seal it up by applying an external layer of sealant. Disassembly requires 1) finding the location of the pin, 2) pressing the pin out, 3)replacing the gasket, 4) reassembling, 5) pressing pin back in. The ends of the pin are barely discernible. Appears like the pin is ground with the 'tube' od after lower parts are assembled??
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Nvmarv
Silver Member

Post by Nvmarv »

Tks... Was afraid wouldnt be easy ⚙
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Nvmarv,

The only way to replace the gasket is to make one yourself. If you can work without it you are best off doing so. As JPG has said it is not an easy task to take apart the upper assembly to change the gasket.

markjunelleharmon,

Welcome to the forum. The connector tubes aka extension tubes, can be replaced if missing. There should be a total of four. They are part number 514439 Extension Tube - 27" connector tube and are $14.11 each. Below is a link to the catalog listing for them.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/ite ... tem=514439

There is also a 5 foot set available and can be found at the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... ntubes.htm

Do make sure you have the 2 Telescoping Legs to go with them.

Even though it has not been used do review the maintenance section of the manual and oil the moving sheaves for the motor and idler shaft pulleys. Over 21 years is a long time for it to have been sitting without anything being done to it. Also check on and do the other maintenance items that should be done.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
markjunelleharmon
Bronze Member

Post by markjunelleharmon »

Ok thanks! I didn't know I needed 4 of those tubes. I do have the two telescoping legs. I set up the table saw for the first time today and cut a couple boards for mounting a mailbox to a post. I definitely need to clean and wax all the chrome tubes and spend a little time aligning things and getting more familiar with this new tool
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

I can see why I "might need" two tubes (to tie am extension table to the main table front and rear) BUT WHY do I need four.

NEED being the operative word. Yes there are setups where four might be helpful and maybe where the 5' tubes could be used.
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Post by SkullsquadronX »

BigSky wrote:I can see why I "might need" two tubes (to tie am extension table to the main table front and rear) BUT WHY do I need four.

NEED being the operative word. Yes there are setups where four might be helpful and maybe where the 5' tubes could be used.

So if you what to use those floating tables as infeed or out feed to the main table
Attachments
1825AD83-B3C1-40E8-B0C9-D7E49A858233.jpeg
1825AD83-B3C1-40E8-B0C9-D7E49A858233.jpeg (129.79 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
65B0469C-3BF3-4248-9C7C-C5D3CB12A315.jpeg
65B0469C-3BF3-4248-9C7C-C5D3CB12A315.jpeg (113.51 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

Thank you. This tells me why I might need more than two tubes. I just never thought to set up this way because I have my own in feed out feed tables. I also do not have that many floating tables.