Intro & Seeking guidance

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mullet
Gold Member

Re: Intro & Seeking guidance

Post by Mullet »

Thanks Chap!

I called SS yesterday and just ordered the entire assy. I figured, rather have all the necessary assy parts avail, as i go through it. And also, as you mentioned, its a common replacement - so i will have (hopefully) ready to go spares in the event i need them. This is also an opportunity for me to become more intimate with my SS inner-workings and operation. Looking at the powerhead, its really not that complicated.
Mullet
Gold Member

Post by Mullet »

QUESTION:

As you can see from my pics posted, i have a semi-early 500 (metal upper saw guard), which i really dont like.

But i am having issues finding a clear, plastic replacement guard... I'd rather see my blade and have some sacrificial material - rather than metal-on-metal if something went wrong.

Can anyone point me in the direction? Even used would be great.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

A clear upper guard used to be available from Shopsmith (513483), but I don't see it listed. However, if you type in the part number, it will show a price ($155.39) and let you add it to your cart. It apparently does not include a mounting bracket (not shown in first picture below) that has to be mounted to the table support structure (2 holes need to be drilled and tapped). The clear upper guard can be used with the older cast aluminum lower guard, or with a newer plastic/metal lower guard. There is more than one version of the newer lower guard. And only guards for a 500 or 5 or V will work (not one for a 505/510/520/7)

Clear upper guards do occasionally come up on ebay, which is how I got mine (for $35 plus shipping). When looking, be sure it includes the mounting bracket.

EDIT 4/26/2020: Upon further review, the mounting block is apparently not available from Shopsmith as a service part, as it shows it as "Item Not Found" and shows price as $9,999.99, typical for items not available.
Attachments
500 upper guard upgrade.jpg
500 upper guard upgrade.jpg (139.63 KiB) Viewed 12174 times
Mounting Block Front.jpg
Mounting Block Front.jpg (24.33 KiB) Viewed 12172 times
Mounting Block Back.jpg
Mounting Block Back.jpg (24.31 KiB) Viewed 12172 times
500 Upper Saw Guard Parts Diagram Anotated.jpg
500 Upper Saw Guard Parts Diagram Anotated.jpg (471.57 KiB) Viewed 12019 times
500 Upper Saw Guard Parts List.jpg
500 Upper Saw Guard Parts List.jpg (450.39 KiB) Viewed 12019 times
Last edited by br549 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

That Upper Saw Guard is part of Saw Guard system part number 505875. The upper guard, along with all the parts to this saw guard system, are still listed in the service parts section. The upper guard can be purchased as a complete unit with a couple additional parts needed. It is P/N 513483 and sells for $155.39. You will also need P/N 513496 Knob w/stud for $6.07 and 2 screws P/N 513201 for $4.95 each. The screws could be purchased locally if someone has the information on the proper size for you. I do not know what size they are as I do not currently have a Mark V with that guard system. Because this upper guard mounts to the table post and not the lower guard it can be used with your current lower guard. Adding this upper guard to your Mark 5 will require drilling holes for the mounting block on the rear table post. If your extra main table, the one without the second slot, has the trunnion, tie bar, posts, etc., it may already have those mounting holes. I could not tell for sure from the pictures if it does.

If you look for it used do make sure it comes with all the parts as shown in the parts diagram/list in the service parts section. The picture below shows the complete 505875 guard assembly.
505875 - 500 Saw Blade Guard Assembly Version 2.jpg
505875 - 500 Saw Blade Guard Assembly Version 2.jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 12138 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Mullet
Gold Member

Post by Mullet »

Thank ya'll for the DETAILED descriptions and guidance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya'll ROCK!
Mullet
Gold Member

Post by Mullet »

chapmanruss wrote:Welcome to the forum,

The last two posts have given you some good information and I would add to that. Your Shopsmith Mark 5 was made in 1975 by my best estimate by Shopsmith Inc. The main table with the extra slot was its original and the extra slot was discontinued by 1980. There have been many changes to the Mark 5 (pre 1980) and Mark V (1980 to present) over the years. The manuals referenced in the link above are for the early Mark 5 from the 1950's and show the Gilmer Drive not the later Poly V drive your Shopsmith has. Other changes occurred between then and when your Shopsmith was made. The good news though is the operation of the Shopsmith is the same. The Self Study Guide (10 lessons) and the book Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone are excellent references on using the Shopsmith. As was already said the current edition of PTWFE is available online on the Shopsmith website and the 1st edition is on Everett's google drive linked at the same place as the 1950 manuals. The 1st edition featured the Shopsmith Model 10ER not the Mark 5 so I recommend a later edition such as the 2nd, 3rd or revised edition. The 3rd edition would have come with your Mark 5.

Before you look at upgrading your Mark 5 try using it and getting to know it's capabilities first. As you have already seen it can be a bit costly to upgrade. You may want to consider keeping an eye out for used Mark V with the table system you want which could be less than buying the needed parts. Remember the difference in the models of the Mark V 500, 505, 510 and 520 is the table system including the carriage and related parts. The headstock and bench are the same.

If you have any questions feel free to ask them here.
Chap or Anyone,

Can you tell me what the second slot was for? Was it just another blade position on the table or some other (possibly discontinued) option?
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

The second slot was used for ripping when the desired width would position the fence half way off the table when using the main slot.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ron is correct. The extra table slot was added to the Mark 5 after the introduction of the Mark 2 in the late 1950's. That extra slot was a feature added to the Mark 2 to compensate for the fence not being able to attach close to the edge of the table for ripping making cutting certain widths a problem. Keep in mind the Mark 2 has a much different extension table that is "Z" shaped and does not use a fence. The "Z" shape creates the extension tables fence. With that there was a distance gap to fill for rip cuts. Apparently it was a popular feature of the Mark 2 so it was soon added to the Mark 5. Although the extension table of the Mark 5 is flat and can use the fence there is still a gap between the main and extension table the fence cannot lock to. Without the extra table slot this can be compensated for by adding a wood face to your fence for rip cuts that would put the fence at the main table edge. The fence can then be mounted to the extension table and the wood face can bridge the gap. The engineers at Shopsmith Inc. decided to discontinue the extra slot in 1980.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Bridgehook
Bronze Member

Mounting Upper Saw Guard on 1973 Mark V

Post by Bridgehook »

I'm in a very similar situation to the OP.

I have recently adopted a Mark V (serial number "SS 1222", presumably also from 1973). Seems to be a pretty good shape. It had been sitting unused for many years until 1996, when my father made an effort to put it into service in his then-new home. He consulted with SS and ordered a bunch of parts (belts and sheaves and so on) and must have gotten someone to install them. He maybe used it a couple of times when it was first restored and then it just sat in his basement for past 20 years or so. He's almost 90 and wanted it out of his basement, so I recently moved it into mine.

I've been cleaning and lubricating and evaluating what I have, and it appears that my father ordered a 505875 - 500 Saw Blade Guard Assembly when he was having it fixed up, but no one got as far drilling holes for the mounting block on the rear table post. Also, it's not clear that I have the knob-with-stud or the screws that secure the block to the post.

Can someone point me to some instructions or walk me through what's required? It's pretty obvious where the bracket is supposed to mount, so I could mark the hole positions easily enough, but I confess that I've never used a tap and die set in my life!
br549
Platinum Member

Re: Mounting Upgraded Upper Saw Guard on a Mark V 500

Post by br549 »

Here are some instructions I found in a previous thread about same topic. Note that the instructions are for both the upgraded LOWER and the UPPER guard ... the original lower guard does not need to be replaced to use the upgraded upper guard.

Drilling and tapping holes is not something I have done often, but with patience and the right tools it is not difficult.

Two (2) 3/4" x 1/4-20 screws required. Not sure of correct designation for this type of head ... socket screw perhaps? Uses 3/16" allen wrench to install.

The knob has about 1-3/8" x 1/4-28 (fine thread) stud. Black knob is about 1-3/8" diameter.
Attachments
Saw Guard Install.pdf
(172.99 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
P8140090.JPG
P8140090.JPG (133.91 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
P8140091.JPG
P8140091.JPG (148.9 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
P8140094.JPG
P8140094.JPG (158.78 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
P8140097.JPG
P8140097.JPG (108.97 KiB) Viewed 4858 times