Wood Master with Shopsmith

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bduemig
Gold Member

Wood Master with Shopsmith

Post by bduemig »

I have a Mark V 510 that I am thinking about upgrading the headstock to a Power Pro. I also have access to an old Wood Master. I am wondering if I upgrade, would my 510 headstock slide on to the wood Master frame?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Wood Master with Shopsmith

Post by JPG »

Whatsa Wood Master????? :confused:

Stove?

Planer?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bduemig
Gold Member

Post by bduemig »

It appears to be a shopsmith clone.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Its funny this name came up just now as I just saw one of these for sale in my area...without seeing the name first-I thought it was an old SS. Heres a couple pics of
the one near me.
wm1.JPG
wm1.JPG (55.18 KiB) Viewed 11760 times
wm2.JPG
wm2.JPG (53.07 KiB) Viewed 11760 times

It peaked my interest-but only a little-it is indeed some kind of SS clone, but the exact history/origin of these took too much digging and I drifted off to other things.

There seems to be a small following of people who have these and are looking for pieces to keep them running. (not that I'm in a better position currently with my SS )
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So the question becomes 1 3/4" od on 7" centers?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bduemig
Gold Member

Post by bduemig »

I measured them quickly but hard to make sure they are exact. The wey tubes seem right but the bench tubes seem smaller in diameter.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

bduemig wrote:I measured them quickly but hard to make sure they are exact. The wey tubes seem right but the bench tubes seem smaller in diameter.
The head stock fits on the way tubes. That is all that maters. The size of the bench tubes make no difference.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

From what I have read about the "clones" some parts are interchangeable and other are not. I have also seen mixed machines, SS and "clone" parts. The picture below shows one of these combinations. I do not recall which "clone" it is but I do not believe it's a Woodmaster.
Clone with SS Parts.jpg
Clone with SS Parts.jpg (180.08 KiB) Viewed 11616 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
harris2020
Silver Member

Post by harris2020 »

chapmanruss wrote:From what I have read about the "clones" some parts are interchangeable and other are not. I have also seen mixed machines, SS and "clone" parts. The picture below shows one of these combinations. I do not recall which "clone" it is but I do not believe it's a Woodmaster.

Clone with SS Parts.jpg
Yeah exactly i also can not say it is woodamaster in the image it can be clone but i think its parts are not interchangeable agree with you!!
nakitsa
Bronze Member

Post by nakitsa »

I'm very new to this form. I found a woodmaster I thought it was a shopsmith at first but I'm buying anyways I I don't know anything about these types of tools so any help I could get would be great. Also where to find parts . It has a 2 horsepower motor