Does Size Matter - Arbors

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Does Size Matter - Arbors

Post by DLB »

I'm not sure what the stud looks like, but my '57 Greenie does not have a spacer and I don't think it has the stud. It wasn't new when I got it, however. After using it that way for decades I'm not completely sold on the spacer, it sometimes conflicts with the way I do things. I have one on a 520 and I have left it on to see if I started liking it, but I really don't.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

All Mark 5s have the spacer ring. 3/8" see below(early greenies)

The stud was a model 10 thing. see below(early greenies).

The double notched spear was a Mark VII thing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As you know Everett has been working on restoring all the pre Shopsmith Inc. Mark 5 Manuals. I have many of the original manuals he is using. Below is a section of the parts diagram from the 5th Manual we believe is from October 1955. Note the stud in the center of the carriage backed by a nut to lock it in place, similar to but shorter than the Model 10's. This was the same for previous manuals but changed to the spacer ring by the next manual (Oct. 56) I have.
Manual 5 Page 27 c.jpg
Manual 5 Page 27 c.jpg (192.52 KiB) Viewed 19005 times
Part Numbers
P6327 - Screw - Headless Set 5/16-18x3/4
P1409 - Nut - Light Jam 5/16-18

I have restored 2 Greenies. The first was made about June in 1956 has the stud spacer. The other made about a year later has the spacer ring. Both of these were made during the time I have only estimates for the production dates.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I was having second thoughts about what I said above when I looked ar Danimal's modified greenie carriage(stud and nut). Later I remembered MickyD's greenie that was busted there due no doubt to a not very gentle collision between the carriage and the headstock.(think raising to vertical after neglecting to lock the headstock! :eek: ).

So I be corrected. Learn(re) something every day.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

One of the things I enjoy about this forum is we are always learning from each other. Given the choice between the stud or spacer ring I would choose the spacer ring having seen both. It does make me wonder if the spacer ring would have saved MickyD's Greenie from damage.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:One of the things I enjoy about this forum is we are always learning from each other. Given the choice between the stud or spacer ring I would choose the spacer ring having seen both. It does make me wonder if the spacer ring would have saved MickyD's Greenie from damage.
Oh I think the localized force exerted by a ring to the stouter area of the carriage around the way tube bore would be orders of magnitude less than that exerted by the stud/nut on that thin web when the stub is impacted by the high inertia headstock. :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Interesting story about my spacer ring. I bought my 510 (now a full up 520 MK 7) new from Woodcraft back in about 1994. I never realized what the spacer ring was truly for. For a number of years I just thought it was a protection bumper. I always aligned the table slot to blade manually. Then the light came on and I realized that it was supposed to align the table slot and blade automatically. Probably from a comment here. Mine did not, it was just a little too narrow. Probably about a 1/4". I still have it so I will have to check. So I called SS and they sent me a new one which is on the machine today. That was about 2 or 3 years after the initial purchase.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote: . . . For a number of years I just thought it was a protection bumper.
GEE I wonder :rolleyes: where on this earth you acquired that misconception. :D IIRC you had a lot of company around here! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote: . . . For a number of years I just thought it was a protection bumper.
GEE I wonder :rolleyes: where on this earth you acquired that misconception. :D IIRC you had a lot of company around here! ;)
I probably missed it in the manual that I did not read thoroughly enough. :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
I probably missed it in the manual that I did not read thoroughly enough. :D
Actually I was accusing some long time members here of propagating that misconception a long time ago. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝