Does Size Matter - Arbors

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Does Size Matter - Arbors

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG, you said
Maybe group A(510) was not communicating with group B(520).
Group A (510) was likely Group B (520) since the Mark V 520 was released 14 years after the Mark V 510/505. :D

As we know there have been a lot of changes through the years with the Shopsmith Tools and it includes the accessories that go with it.

JPG,

Just think about how many changes you would have to make to your Goldie to make it the same as the last Mark V 500 made before they were discontinued. It would have a different Table, Quill, Drive Sleeve and on and on. I am not suggesting you do it though.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:JPG, you said
Maybe group A(510) was not communicating with group B(520).
Group A (510) was likely Group B (520) since the Mark V 520 was released 14 years after the Mark V 510/505. :D

As we know there have been a lot of changes through the years with the Shopsmith Tools and it includes the accessories that go with it.

JPG,

Just think about how many changes you would have to make to your Goldie to make it the same as the last Mark V 500 made before they were discontinued. It would have a different Table, Quill, Drive Sleeve and on and on. I am not suggesting you do it though.
Why a different drive sleeve? Quill?(500 have double bearing quills?)

You overlooked the interchangible lever knobs. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Although the Drive Sleeve Assembly in your Goldie is the same as later ones it didn't have the Black Protective Coating on parts which began in 1964. The same is true for the Quill plus the change to double bearings in 1984. By the way that is the year before the introduction of the Mark V 510 and original Mark V's becoming the Mark V 500. As for the interchangeable lever knobs that is part of the on and on just like the pinion shaft.

You have seen these changes over the years whereas I am just looking back at them. By the way I see you grinning there.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:Although the Drive Sleeve Assembly in your Goldie is the same as later ones it didn't have the Black Protective Coating on parts which began in 1964. The same is true for the Quill plus the change to double bearings in 1984. By the way that is the year before the introduction of the Mark V 510 and original Mark V's becoming the Mark V 500. As for the interchangeable lever knobs that is part of the on and on just like the pinion shaft.

You have seen these changes over the years whereas I am just looking back at them. By the way I see you grinning there.
Unfortunately I was out of the loop as the SS Inc. stuff evolved.

Blox Form not function difference! :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shoedo
Gold Member

Re: carriage spacer

Post by shoedo »

By carriage spacer, are you referring to the rubber disc that is slid onto the way tube? The Shopsmith that I recently purchased had one that was about 5/8 wide. I saw one of Dour Reid's video and his was about 2 inches wide. It's visible at the beginning of the video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4DJFtjJR7c&t=5s

If you are I are speaking about the same thing, where should this spacer be positioned? Is this just a reference point or does the dimensions of the spacer matter? Thanks in advance
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: carriage spacer

Post by rpd »

shoedo wrote:By carriage spacer, are you referring to the rubber disc that is slid onto the way tube? The Shopsmith that I recently purchased had one that was about 5/8 wide. I saw one of Dour Reid's video and his was about 2 inches wide. It's visible at the beginning of the video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4DJFtjJR7c&t=5s

If you are I are speaking about the same thing, where should this spacer be positioned? Is this just a reference point or does the dimensions of the spacer matter? Thanks in advance
The narrow spacer is for the Mark V-500, the wider spacer is for the Mark V-510/520 as the tables are wider. The spacer goes between the carriage and the headstock, slide the carriage against the spacer and the saw blade is positioned in the slot in the table insert.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

When I changed my 500 to a 510, I kept the narrow spacer because it gives me more flexibility in positioning the table with different tools. My wide spacer it taking up space in my toolbox until and if it is ever needed.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

5/8" is 1/4" too wide for a M5/V500???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The spacer ring is a convenience designed to make changeovers quicker. Without it you have to "manually" align the table and blade each time you change to the table saw. It is easier to do manually on the 510/505/520/M7 than the original 500 table system using the table post mounted upper saw guard. Other Mark 5/V saw guard sets mount to the quill. Early Mark 5's and the Model 10's use a stud attached to the carriage instead of the spacer ring on the rear way tube. garys could have simply left the spacer off unless he likes it there to keep the carriage and headstock from bumping directly onto each other. Another nice thing about having the spacer ring.

JPG,

Does your Goldie have the stud instead of the spacer ring? I can't remember off hand when that changed.
Russ

Mark V 520
dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

Russ,
My Goldie has the spacer.
Dick