pocket screws

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: pocket screws

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks Ed. Yeah, I definitely enjoyed this thread and appreciated all of the comments. It was definitely educational. Pocket screws are one of those areas where I just never ventured in a few decades of woodworking. Even though I have a Domino now, I probably will pick up a pocket hole jig sometime in the future just to check them out because of this thread. Of course, speaking of the whole hand tool only woodworking movement, you guys need to abandon your Kreg Pocket Hole Jigs and start doing them with a flared gimlet bit and brace as Shannon does in this video...just like they did in the 1800's! :D

Speaking of woodworking in buildings, like barns, that can last several hundred years....I have always been fascinated by timber framing. Veering off topic from pocket screws, but I really enjoyed the 2nd video below that discusses the differences between timber framed houses and modern 2x4 houses. Sad that we are losing a lot of the knowledge around some of these older building techniques. All around, a timber framed house looks to be superior IMHO.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWR_q4d8GoA[/youtube]

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Why does the word 'restaurant' seem to quite often creep into thy posts Farmer? :D

Well I did it again(overlooked posts on a 'following page')! :o

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote:

Yeah, it is easy to do. I wish there was an easy way to see all new posts for the day or something like that
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

RFGuy wrote:Yeah, it is easy to do. I wish there was an easy way to see all new posts for the day or something like that
This works for me to see all new posts. I have one (or sometimes more) tab in my browser (Firefox) that has the forum open all the time.
The page doesn't automatically update, so when I open the tab I click on "Board index" , which takes me to the main page and updates.
(note, I am using the Subsilver2 board style, so it will probably look a bit different on your screen.)
Screenshot from 2020-01-13 16-50-18.jpg
Screenshot from 2020-01-13 16-50-18.jpg (235.67 KiB) Viewed 13477 times
The forums that have new posts that I haven't read yet have the first icon colored yellow. So I will click on (for example) Maintenance and Repair
Screenshot from 2020-01-13 16-54-54.jpg
Screenshot from 2020-01-13 16-54-54.jpg (253.42 KiB) Viewed 13477 times
and here we can see that there are two threads that have new posts, again the first icon on those lines is colored yellow,
also note the little black arrow in front of the label for those threads. If you click on that arrow it will take you to the first post that you have not read in that post. :) (it's magic)
When you have finished reading that thread, do not use the browser back key as that will just reload the previous page from the cache on your computer and it won't be updated.
Rather click on "Board index » Main Woodworking Forum » Maintenance and Repair" to read the second thread, or on "Board Index" to go back to the main page.
When navigating this way, if I miss that there are more posts on the next page of a thread that I missed, it will flag that thread again as having new posts. :cool:
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG wrote:Why does the word 'restaurant' seem to quite often creep into thy posts Farmer? :D

I spend more time in restaurants than I do my shops... :rolleyes: :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Not to belabor the point on joint strength wrt pocket screws, but this video popped up this morning for me. I really hate how Google's YouTube search algorithm works. When I went looking for these videos, all I could find was two of them a few days ago. Now suddenly 3 year old videos related to this topic magically appear on YouTube for me. Anyway, in this video, pocket screws beat the Domino so I thought some of you might be interested to see that. What I find disappointing in all of these joint strength tests is that they all test two boards joined at a 90° angle then they attempt to pull them apart with a normal (orthogonal) stress. It's a useful test for example to test racking in a face frame cabinet, but it would be nice to also see some testing for shear stress or tensional stress. Shear stress, in particular, is a good example I can think of in the shop for pocket screws, e.g. a workbench top being pushed on relative to the base cabinet beneath it.

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to the skill of the woodworker. No matter the joint selected, I am sure in skilled hands its execution will be good enough for the intended application. In unskilled hands, as sometimes seen on YouTube, joint x will fail before joint y....then on another day, joint y fails before x.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhBcnUXWJEQ[/youtube]
Last edited by RFGuy on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Steele510
Gold Member

Post by Steele510 »

RFGuy wrote:
JPG wrote:

Yeah, it is easy to do. I wish there was an easy way to see all new posts for the day or something like that
This link works well for me... New posts

If you then click the little orange folder itself, it will take you directly to the first unread item in that topic.
New_posts.jpg
New_posts.jpg (84.66 KiB) Viewed 13443 times

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ron,

Thanks. What skin are you using to view the forum? I haven't added one, but maybe it is time to do so. I am just using the default Shopsmith one to view.

Steele510,

Thanks. I haven't used the New Posts link before...guess I should have tried that first. Thanks for pointing it out to me.
📶RF Guy

rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

RFGuy wrote:Ron,

Thanks. What skin are you using to view the forum? I haven't added one, but maybe it is time to do so. I am just using the default Shopsmith one to view.
I use Subsilver2, but I think the other styles should have similar similar options, the icons will be different and the names in the navigation bar may be different too.
What skin are you using?
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Steele510 wrote:
RFGuy wrote:
JPG wrote:

This link works well for me... New posts

If you then click the little orange folder itself, it will take you directly to the first unread item in that topic.

New_posts.jpg

I use "Unread Posts". Then 'assume' when I reach the bottom of the 'page' that that is the end of the thread. Bad assumption often(more pages exist).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange