phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

14 posts 1 2

Re: Conical sanding disk usefulness

#264956 by gac5ss » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:58 pm

I need an opinion on acceptable run out on my conical disk that Stew and I agreed to swap. As an after thought, I decided to check the run out using my dial gauge. Since I have not used the disk in any way since purchasing it used.

The run out on it is 19 thousandths at 180 degees. My flat disk run out is 10 thousandths. I checked my quill shaft run out and it is 1 thousandth.

Just to insure that I am not sending a defective disk to Stew, Is this run out within acceptable norms? We are planning to drop them in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks,

---

Jerry
Harrison, AR
Shopsmith Mk V 500 Shorty, 520
SPT's: 6x48 sander, Strip sander, jointer, band saw, speed increaser

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

#264963 by JPG » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:48 pm

Those numbers are meaningless without also including the distance out from the center.

I do not think those numbers are excessive for the intended purpose of the disks if at the periphery.

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

#264971 by gac5ss » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:04 am

JPG wrote:Those numbers are meaningless without also including the distance out from the center.

I do not think those numbers are excessive for the intended purpose of the disks if at the periphery.

The measurement was taken on the perimeter face of the disk. Thanks for your help.

---

Jerry
Harrison, AR
Shopsmith Mk V 500 Shorty, 520
SPT's: 6x48 sander, Strip sander, jointer, band saw, speed increaser

#265144 by reible » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:51 pm

I just used my conical disk to finish these blocks:

blocks.jpg
blocks.jpg (134.65 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

The one with the letters was done by hand and was a prototype but with that many to do it was easier to do some power sanding.

I cut them just a little over sized then sanded all 6 sides so they are all uniform and sanded. I think the fine paper for these is 150 grit, anyway I forgot to write the grit on the disk but it is the fine paper.

Ed

---

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]