Ad Trackers

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Re: Ad Trackers

Post by garys »

We are all being spyed on all the time. If you have a smart TV in the house, the speaker in it can be used as a microphone so everything you say in your house can be heard and recorded on the internet. Any other "smart" device that you can talk to has the same capability to spy on you.

And, can you be 100% sure that these devices don't also have a camera in them so you can be watched as well?

This was recently proven when the Google Nest cameras were hacked.
https://www.businessinsider.com/hacker- ... ple-2019-9
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote:We are all being spyed on all the time. If you have a smart TV in the house, the speaker in it can be used as a microphone so everything you say in your house can be heard and recorded on the internet. Any other "smart" device that you can talk to has the same capability to spy on you.

And, can you be 100% sure that these devices don't also have a camera in them so you can be watched as well?

I guess I am stupid. Please explain explain how a hacker can get into my home network through my password protected router? All of my traffic goes through my router both in and out. I don't have any of this smart stuff, Alexia, Nest, etc.. Even if I did they still have to go through my password protected router.

Yes, if I am on the internet things can happen. That is why I have paid for robust malware and antivirus software installed.

Many (most) of these people that have these problems are click happy and have no security software installed.

I have been on the internet since 1990 with the same email address and have never had a problem. Lucky, maybe, but I don't think so. Protecting your self with good paid for software and the most important thing is not clicking on things that you don't know where they came from.

And no I don't do any "social" media. No Facebook, no Twitter, no nothing.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Alexia and Nest go through your network and router too, and the hackers have proven that they can get into the path and do harm. It would be just as easy to get into any smart device, and your malware and antivirus on your computer don't do anything to protect your TV as they don't run on your TV.
Read that link I posted. Not only did the hackers get into the Nest cameras, but they were also able to get to other smart devices in the house like their smart thermostat.
Remember that if you can access it, the hackers can too.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:
garys wrote:We are all being spyed on all the time. If you have a smart TV in the house, the speaker in it can be used as a microphone so everything you say in your house can be heard and recorded on the internet. Any other "smart" device that you can talk to has the same capability to spy on you.

I guess I am stupid. Please explain explain how a hacker can get into my home network through my password protected router? All of my traffic goes through my router both in and out. I don't have any of this smart stuff, Alexia, Nest, etc.. Even if I did they still have to go through my password protected router.

Yes, if I am on the internet things can happen. That is why I have paid for robust malware and antivirus software installed.

Many (most) of these people that have these problems are click happy and have no security software installed.

I have been on the internet since 1990 with the same email address and have never had a problem. Lucky, maybe, but I don't think so. Protecting your self with good paid for software and the most important thing is not clicking on things that you don't know where they came from.

I guess that depends on what you consider social media. What about:
expressscripts, google, social security, mypay, medicare, etc. If you can connect there and I can to, I consider it social media.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

We are all on social media. This Shopsmith forum is social media. They own us and control us.

Just think of the horrible things hackers can do to you. If you have a smart refrigerator, they can hack into it and turn it off. When you get home, you would find your beer warm and your ice cream melted. :)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you want a real shocker watch the movie Eagle Eye. Not all of the things a computer can take control of in the movie is science fiction. Any body see NCIS this week? Just the day before I saw a news story, on Monday, about cars with WIFI able to be controlled remotely. It appears we cannot avoid it short of moving off the grid. So load up you 1960's pickup with the bare essentials and head out to the deep woods. No communications, electricity, running water, only what you can live with off the land. As for me I accept it is a part of life we have to deal with but I protect myself as suggested when online and I other aspects of daily life.

Okay, I have to add this one last thing. I just received a email from Traeger Grills this morning. It reads - Welcome to the next phase of wood fired grilling. Smart Home connectivity lets you control your WiFIRE (registered trademark) enabled grill through Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices with just your voice, giving you more control and convenience than ever before. Just imagine that now someone else in the world can burn your Thanksgiving Turkey by readjusting the temperature remotely.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
jsburger wrote:

I guess that depends on what you consider social media. What about:
expressscripts, google, social security, mypay, medicare, etc. If you can connect there and I can to, I consider it social media.
Social Media is defined as "websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking."

I do not consider sites like MyPay, OPM.gov, Medicare, Social Security, my bank or anything like that as social media. The Facebooks's of the world allow anybody in the world to create an account, say anything they want, do anything they want with no accountability and no rules for participation.

Sites like I cited above do not let just anybody create an account. You have to have the proper credentials and a reason to create an account. Also those types of sites are not there for people who are eligible to create an account to participate in social networking.

Yes, this site is a social media site. However, it is not a free-for-all site like Facebook or Twitter, etc. We have rules here that are enforced.

You are certainly entitled to consider anything you want social media. We will just have to agree to disagree.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I consider 'social media' to that which serves no other useful purpose.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chapmanruss wrote: Okay, I have to add this one last thing. I just received a email from Traeger Grills this morning. It reads - Welcome to the next phase of wood fired grilling. Smart Home connectivity lets you control your WiFIRE (registered trademark) enabled grill through Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices with just your voice, giving you more control and convenience than ever before. Just imagine that now someone else in the world can burn your Thanksgiving Turkey by readjusting the temperature remotely.
Yeah, I know WiFi controlled BBQ (smoker) is a vulnerability for hackers, but I have to have it. I used to have a Klose BBQ pit (Houston, TX manufacturer) that was a log burner. I spent about a decade mastering the art of fire and feeding this beast with pecan logs (my preferred wood to smoke with) every 30 minutes. After doing this for a decade, it is a lot of work to tend to a wood fired smoker for 14-16 hours to cook brisket or pork butts. My new rig has a gravity fed charcoal chute. This combined with a WiFi controller (CyberQ from BBQ Guru) and fan means I can relax inside while the meat cooks. From inside, I can record temps and extrapolate the curve so that I can predict when the Thanksgiving turkey will be done. If my curve looks to be off, I can always adjust cook temp to try to do course corrections to hit the meal time that I want. Not to mention, also much tighter temperature control with this setup than my old log burning smoker. I know we are getting off topic a bit from the thread, but hey next week is Thanksgiving and I just have to have my WiFi BBQ. :D

https://www.bbqguru.com/info/CyberQ
Last edited by RFGuy on Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:I consider 'social media' to that which serves no other useful purpose.
I LIKE that definition. That pretty much says it all. :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT