phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Garrett Wade Push Drill

#264180 by algale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:05 pm

I recently had to drill some holes in some very tight spaces where a drill with a large chuck would not fit. Neither the Shopsmith nor my handheld Ryobi nor even an old egg-beater could get where I needed to go.

Enter the Garrett Wade Yankee Push Drill. I gather this is a re-issue of a tool that Stanley made for decades. Comes with 8 double flute bits that fit in the handle. The 8 bits are from 1/16th to 11/64th in 1/64th increments. Obviously this is for drilling small pilots holes. Works like a
charm. Seems very well made.

A couple of pics are attached.

8A3CD811-660B-4A1C-A771-44F2EBE95587.jpeg
8A3CD811-660B-4A1C-A771-44F2EBE95587.jpeg (97.31 KiB) Viewed 6654 times


16DA15A7-2853-46BC-8533-2ABFB5166B14.jpeg
16DA15A7-2853-46BC-8533-2ABFB5166B14.jpeg (90.56 KiB) Viewed 6654 times


04AEB186-FE96-46FD-A68C-D7770286A824.jpeg
04AEB186-FE96-46FD-A68C-D7770286A824.jpeg (87.96 KiB) Viewed 6654 times


B0B99ED6-D94A-4489-B55E-052CEA90B861.jpeg
B0B99ED6-D94A-4489-B55E-052CEA90B861.jpeg (104.56 KiB) Viewed 6654 times

---

Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Garrett Wade Push Drill

#264181 by garys » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:33 pm

I have a similar design push drill in my toolbox for about 40 years. If I remember correctly, mine is a Sears Craftsman one. It doesn't get used often, but when I need it, I appreciate it. Like you said. It drills holes in tight quarters better than anything else I have.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Garrett Wade Push Drill

#264185 by JPG » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:28 pm

I have(had?) one made by miller falls(sp?). Have not had my hands on it recently.

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Garrett Wade Push Drill

#264664 by davebodner » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:06 pm

garys wrote:I have a similar design push drill in my toolbox for about 40 years. If I remember correctly, mine is a Sears Craftsman one. It doesn't get used often, but when I need it, I appreciate it. Like you said. It drills holes in tight quarters better than anything else I have.

Me too.

But the first thing I often go for is my small awl that I've ground to a sharp edge, like a sharp screwdriver. Push in and twist. Very accurate placement for pilot holes for small screws.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Garrett Wade Push Drill

#264668 by rpd » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:18 pm

I have two or three of the push drills and some of the Yankee screw drivers. :)

pushdrills.jpg.jpg
pushdrills.jpg.jpg (263.9 KiB) Viewed 6197 times


davebodner wrote:
garys wrote:I have a similar design push drill in my toolbox for about 40 years. If I remember correctly, mine is a Sears Craftsman one. It doesn't get used often, but when I need it, I appreciate it. Like you said. It drills holes in tight quarters better than anything else I have.

Me too.

But the first thing I often go for is my small awl that I've ground to a sharp edge, like a sharp screwdriver. Push in and twist. Very accurate placement for pilot holes for small screws.


Sounds similar to a square or birdcage awl.

---

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Garrett Wade Push Drill

#264681 by dusty » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:33 am

rpd wrote:I have two or three of the push drills and some of the Yankee screw drivers. :)

pushdrills.jpg.jpg

davebodner wrote:
garys wrote:I have a similar design push drill in my toolbox for about 40 years. If I remember correctly, mine is a Sears Craftsman one. It doesn't get used often, but when I need it, I appreciate it. Like you said. It drills holes in tight quarters better than anything else I have.

Me too.

But the first thing I often go for is my small awl that I've ground to a sharp edge, like a sharp screwdriver. Push in and twist. Very accurate placement for pilot holes for small screws.


Sounds similar to a square or birdcage awl.



I very interesting and informative discussion about square awls. I'll have to locate mine and use it.

---

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Garrett Wade Push Drill

#264699 by JPG » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:19 pm

dusty wrote:
rpd wrote:I have two or three of the push drills and some of the Yankee screw drivers. :)

pushdrills.jpg.jpg

davebodner wrote:Me too.

But the first thing I often go for is my small awl that I've ground to a sharp edge, like a sharp screwdriver. Push in and twist. Very accurate placement for pilot holes for small screws.


Sounds similar to a square or birdcage awl.



I very interesting and informative discussion about square awls. I'll have to locate mine and use it.


I am gonna make one!

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Garrett Wade Push Drill

#264707 by davebodner » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:03 pm

dusty wrote:Sounds similar to a square or birdcage awl.


Same function, different mechanics. Paul Sellers' awl uses the square edges of the shaft to cut the wood fibers. Mine uses the knife-edge of the tip to cut the fibers. Roy Underhill taught to introduce the awl I use into the wood cross-grain first, so the fibers would be cut rather than be pushed aside.

I make no claim as to which one works better; however, that Paul Sellers demonstration does seem pretty slick.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Garrett Wade Push Drill

#264727 by rpd » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:58 pm

davebodner wrote:
dusty wrote:Sounds similar to a square or birdcage awl.


Same function, different mechanics. Paul Sellers' awl uses the square edges of the shaft to cut the wood fibers. Mine uses the knife-edge of the tip to cut the fibers. Roy Underhill taught to introduce the awl I use into the wood cross-grain first, so the fibers would be cut rather than be pushed aside.

I make no claim as to which one works better; however, that Paul Sellers demonstration does seem pretty slick.


Okay, equal time for the Chisel Point Brad Awl, https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/drills/46245-veritas-chisel-point-brad-awl

The write ups says they are better for softwoods, and the square for hardwoods. :) https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/drills/32205-square-blade-awl-for-hardwoods

---

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 54 guests

Board indexDelete all board cookies

Welcome to Shopsmith. Please fill in this form and we'll send you more information and special offers for the Shopsmith MARK 7 and other woodworking topics.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required