Just Inherited a Mark V 500

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PeterCox
Gold Member

Re: Just Inherited a Mark V 500

Post by PeterCox »

Alright,

So buckle up, this has been one bumpy ride of an introduction to the Mark V work for me.

Just to recap.

Got it from dad(he got it new in 86).
Hasn't been used in many years(Probably 10-15).
Cleaned and lubed first thing.
Noticed damage to speed control dial.
Shipped my dial off to be fixed.
Got it back, set screw was lost

I was able to find the set screw at a local hardware store thanks to the help of "rpd" thanks Pal!

The Speed control dial I got was one that had been refurbished. Unfortunately, the person doing the work forgot to drill a hole for the set screw in the gear they made.

So, because I didn't want to wait another 3 weeks to get it there and back again, I took matters into my own hands. My very inexperienced hands by the way. I was able to free the cog insert from the housing on the back of the dial. Not sure that was supposed to happen. But oh well, sue me. Using 4 different drill bits, I was able to size the hole in the cog just right.

Then.......

I decided to follow up on something "JPG" mentioned. The screw holding the spring clip under my speed control dial was loose and wouldn't tighten. So when he pointed that out as a bigger problem, I looked inside the headstock to try to find the reason.

Well, the casting on the headstock was broken. At this point I'm about to start burning some sage. Maybe that will drive out the shop poltergeist who has obviously takin up in my shop. It may also drive out the smell of me.....bonus. (I didn't burn anything. It's over 90° in my shop as it is)
IMG_20200708_220410_resize_85.jpg
IMG_20200708_220410_resize_85.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 6918 times
This break by the screw also explained why my control knob was canted. The pork chop was pushing hard enough against it to force that side out.

I made a little workaround for that, but I won't bore you with the details of that.

So now that's all be fixed, cleaned lubed and re-assembled.

And now it's got a loud metal sound about 10 seconds after I turn it on no matter the speed. I am tired, so I'm going to give it a rest. But does anyone have advice on my next steps for the metal on metal noise?

Thanks!

Peter
Attachments
IMG_20200708_174138_compress15_resize_34.jpg
IMG_20200708_174138_compress15_resize_34.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 6918 times
-Inherited my father's 83' Mark V 500 W/Band Saw.
-New to the system and just getting it back up and running after many years of sitting.
-3rd Gen. on this Shopsmith.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Thanks for the re-cap, and yes, the road to learning is often full of potholes. You've done great so far, don't give up hope!

This website does not support large attachments like a video file, but others have posted YouTube videos. If you are good at making YouTube videos, you might try recording the sound and posting.

If you are not (like me), a simple video with sound could be uploaded to a photo-sharing site (such as Dropbox), and then a link created whereby anyone could view it.

One other comment ... the wires to the switch are a little too close to the speed control mechanism for my comfort ... be sure they don't contact any moving parts.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Re the noise, perform a high speed adjustment.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
PeterCox
Gold Member

Post by PeterCox »

JPG wrote:Re the noise, perform a high speed adjustment.
Does anyone have a link to a video of this?
-New to the system and just getting it back up and running after many years of sitting.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... hanger.htm

This is a link to a Sawdust Session that should cover the high speed adjustment as well.

There may be other videos out there, but I didn't look any further than this.

And attached is a verbal description.
Attachments
Shopsmith - how to do a high speed adjustment.PDF
(382.25 KiB) Downloaded 677 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BTW, I LIKE YER BROKEN 'HOLE' FIX!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
PeterCox
Gold Member

Post by PeterCox »

br549 wrote:http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... hanger.htm

This is a link to a Sawdust Session that should cover the high speed adjustment as well.

There may be other videos out there, but I didn't look any further than this.

And attached is a verbal description.
Thanks! I'll try that next time I can get down to my shop. A pulley on my riding mower seized today. So that's all I had time to fix today.
Thanks again,

Peter
PeterCox
Gold Member

Post by PeterCox »

JPG wrote:BTW, I LIKE YER BROKEN 'HOLE' FIX!!!
Thanks! I didn't know what I was going to do, I opened my hardware cabinet and saw that. I like that it lays flat, and it's long enough to have good contact.

There was mention by br549 about the wires. When I looked in, one in particular has started to lose it's insulated jacket. It looks like it is just breaking apart from age. I guess I will need to pull those out and tape up anything that looks bad. Then I can move them to a better spot.

Thanks

Peter
PeterCox
Gold Member

Post by PeterCox »

Well, I performed a high speed adjustment and now it won't move. Calling in the reinforcements again. I flip it on and it it's trains to turn, but doesn't. I quickly tried to turn the speed down to see if it would help, but no dice.

I had just finished rewiring to the terminals in the headstock(the wires were too close to the pork chop and the insulation was also disintegrating. That seemed to work.well when I turned it on. Oh well, it's been one thing after another.

I need a win guys. Haha

Peter
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Is there any "noise" (motor hum) when you turn it on? If not recheck power connections. If there is noise, with it off put the Sanding Disk on and try turning it by hand.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.