Just Inherited a Mark V 500

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Just Inherited a Mark V 500

Post by rpd »

PeterCox wrote:Well, all was going well. My paste wax arrived before my oil. So I went a little out of order in the cleaning and lubrication. When I went to adjust the speed(with the motor running of course) it was tough to do. I immediately thought it must be dirty. So when the video teacher got to that part, I was excited to see all the dust in there from the past 34 years. I was going to clean it out, and notice another major difference in how it operated. But unlike my now smooth rails, it wasn't that simple.

When I took out the set screw and removed the speed dial, I noticed that the gear on the back of the dial looked a little rough. I put it aside and went ahead with the cleaning. When I went to put it back on, it would not lay flat. I turned it back on and tried repositioning it, but still it was always canted. Realized that the possible damage to the outermost gear could be the issue. So I checked the teeth.

Out of the 15 that it should have, only 4 teeth were undamaged, and only 6 could still advance the others.

From my very limited knowledge, it appears that Granddaddy didn't follow "Rule #1"

I am going to need to buy a replacement. Any advice on that?

Thanks!

Peter
I would try to repair the one you have first, :)
Over time the "legs" spread apart, causing the porkchop to miss align
You can use a punch and file to reshape and clean up the teeth. then use Bill Mayo's mod to bring the legs back to spec, which will make the worm run down the center of the teeth again..
In the first post of this link, download the third attachment.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 16113.html
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

PeterCox wrote:Well, all was going well. My paste wax arrived before my oil. So I went a little out of order in the cleaning and lubrication. When I went to adjust the speed(with the motor running of course) it was tough to do. I immediately thought it must be dirty. So when the video teacher got to that part, I was excited to see all the dust in there from the past 34 years. I was going to clean it out, and notice another major difference in how it operated. But unlike my now smooth rails, it wasn't that simple.

When I took out the set screw and removed the speed dial, I noticed that the gear on the back of the dial looked a little rough. I put it aside and went ahead with the cleaning. When I went to put it back on, it would not lay flat. I turned it back on and tried repositioning it, but still it was always canted. Realized that the possible damage to the outermost gear could be the issue. So I checked the teeth.

Out of the 15 that it should have, only 4 teeth were undamaged, and only 6 could still advance the others.

From my very limited knowledge, it appears that Granddaddy didn't follow "Rule #1"

I am going to need to buy a replacement. Any advice on that?

Thanks!

Peter
If you talking about the gear teeth on the back of the Speed Control Dial, there is a guy on ebay that repairs them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOPSMITH-MARK ... SwE8Vb4jHg
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Don't be so hard on granddaddy! That damage is typical even when rule #1 is adhered to.

What causes that is unpublished rule # ∞ (always go slow towards slow).

Easiest fix is a new quadrant gear(porkchop). More time consuming fix is filing the teeth.

Do look for spreading of the legs the gear pivots on also.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
PeterCox
Gold Member

Post by PeterCox »

[quote="thunderbirdbat"
If you talking about the gear teeth on the back of the Speed Control Dial, there is a guy on ebay that repairs them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOPSMITH-MARK ... SwE8Vb4jHg[/quote]

Yes, that's the one! Thanks for that info I'll be looking that up.

Thanks to every one of you, this is a great forum!

Peter
-Inherited my father's 83' Mark V 500 W/Band Saw.
-New to the system and just getting it back up and running after many years of sitting.
-3rd Gen. on this Shopsmith.
PeterCox
Gold Member

Post by PeterCox »

My speed control dial is on its way to be refurbished! When I get the good one in the mail, I'll put it on and see if that gets it back to right. I noticed that the spring clip behind the dial was a little lose. I tried to tighten up the Philips screw holding it, but it doesn't really bite. Do I need to get behind it and use plyers, or is it okay if it's loose as long as it stays between the centering nubs?(real technical I know :) )

Thanks

Peter
-New to the system and just getting it back up and running after many years of sitting.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

PeterCox wrote:My speed control dial is on its way to be refurbished! When I get the good one in the mail, I'll put it on and see if that gets it back to right. I noticed that the spring clip behind the dial was a little lose. I tried to tighten up the Philips screw holding it, but it doesn't really bite. Do I need to get behind it and use plyers, or is it okay if it's loose as long as it stays between the centering nubs?(real technical I know :) )

Thanks

Peter
I would be more concerned re the lack of 'bite'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
PeterCox
Gold Member

Post by PeterCox »

JPG wrote:
I would be more concerned re the lack of 'bite'.[/quote]

Well now that's not my biggest concern. Now my 3YO daughter has unknowingly lost my speed dial set screw.
Hard to be mad at her, she was just playing. I'd rather her lose a screw, then not have her in the shop.

I just got my dial back from being refurbished, and went to put it on. No set screw.

Anyone know what size it is and where to get it?

Thanks!

Peter
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

145709 85 1 Allen Screw (Headstock, Speed Control Handle)

SCR-10-24X1/4 SOC ST OVL
#10-24 x 1/4” Black Oxide Alloy Steel Oval Point Socket Set Screw
w/Nylon Patch (3/32” Allen Wrench)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Replacing the set screw with the exact same type is definitely an option. I found the original set screw too hard to locate, loosen or tighten with my regular length allen wrench, so made my own set screw with a slotted head from a machine screw.
Attachments
P2201403resized.jpg
P2201403resized.jpg (139.69 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
PeterCox
Gold Member

Post by PeterCox »

Thanks guys! I'm looking at my options and I'll let you know when it's up and running. I am hoping that everything goes back as it should when I get the screw I need.

Thanks

Peter