Shopsmith Model 500 Table Saw Fence and Reassembly of Parts

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jlroadifer
Bronze Member

Re: Shopsmith Model 500 Table Saw Fence and Reassembly of Parts

Post by jlroadifer »

The term "double thread" does not have anything to do with the thickness of the nut, but rather that the nut has two sets of threads, not one set. I am able to find single-thread square nuts at Ace, but those nuts won't thread on to the rod because the rod has two sets of threads. Believe me, I have tried! :)

I may have to resort to your idea of replacing the rod with a fully-threaded rod, although I just discovered that the threads in my lock knob are stripped as well. I probably won't be able to find a lock knob so I'd have to fabricate one, maybe with a barrel nut epoxied into a wood handle. Or, I bite the bullet and buy a new fence!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I had not previously noticed that, but it is indeed a double lead threaded nut. Not likely found anywhere.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

It has been a while since I did that repair on the fence. I don't recall what I did with the original nut and I cannot find it in my parts. I only have standard threaded square nuts in my spare parts stuff. As for the knob it appears it is no longer available from SS so a used one would be the only way to replace it or make something. You could keep a watch out for a used fence for sale. There are three currently for sale on ebay plus a rod with the knob and other parts but not the end nut. You could contact that seller to see if he has the nut. It is the seller's husband that does the Shopsmith stuff. Unfortunately for anything you buy used you may not find out if it has any problems until it arrives.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

You might check Craig's List in your area once in a while. A gentleman here was selling everything he removed after completing a 510 upgrade, asking $50. It included the fence you need, the wide extension table, along with several other items.

Also consider adding your location to your profile. Some members here sell parts and might be in your area. You can see the product first and avoid shipping charges. Not much of that is done live on the forum, but this is a case where SS does not offer what you need.

- David