18" Jigsaw Restoration

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Duckman
Gold Member

18" Jigsaw Restoration

Post by Duckman »

I bought a 510 table system to upgrade my 500 and in the process also got an 18" Jigsaw, Model 505644. I think it was produced in 1986. I was not really interested in the jigsaw but it was basically free. I am trying to determine whether it is worth the effort to restore it and get it working. Using owner manuals and J. Anderson instructional videos I successfully restored my headstock and a bandsaw from an earlier procurement. About the only thing those restorations did not require was rebuilding the motor and replacing bearings. Mostly disassembly, new belts, cleaning, and adjusting per the manuals. My research indicate SS no longer supports the jigsaw, but I think some of the expendable internal parts to the jigsaw can be 3d printed if needed. Is this restoration project worth doing for this machine? Is there some hidden problem with these things that will exceed by capabilities? Duckman
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: 18" Jigsaw Restoration

Post by Hobbyman2 »

IMO depends on your wants and needs ,if you chose not to restore it I would believe some one could use parts off of it , what parts do you need ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I haven’t used my jigsaw a lot since I got my bandsaw, but there are still times when it’s the right machine for the job. I don’t have a scroll saw, and it’s much nicer than a handheld jigsaw for interior cuts. And then there’s the vertical filing/sanding capability, which is pretty unique for a power tool. That works great for cleaning up concave edge features that are too small for a drum sander.
Duckman
Gold Member

Post by Duckman »

I was wondering if any one on the forum had restored one. Duckman
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Duckman wrote:I was wondering if any one on the forum had restored one. Duckman
YES
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
cap324
Bronze Member

Post by cap324 »

I recently purchased a mid 1980’s ShopSmith collection of tools which I have now cleaned up and tested one at time:

Multitool Mark V 500
Pro Planer
Magna Jigsaw w/Power Stand
Band Saw
Belt Sander
Jointer
Biscuit Joiner
Table Router w/Stand (Table itself is now junk)
Dust Collection
Misc. Related SS Stuff

The stand alone Magna Jigsaw. It needs some TLC and is missing a few parts to return to service.

After having fired it up very briefly. Based on the sound, I think it is out of oil and I felt no hint of air for the air puffing feature. It does run!

Repair parts most likely needed:

Oil (how much, what kind)
502270 Oil Gasket
502239 Pump Seal

Missing parts are:

502234 Air Fitting
502248 Air Hose

I would appreciate any advice and if you have sourcing for parts.

Thanks,
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

cap324 wrote:I recently purchased a mid 1980’s ShopSmith collection of tools which I have now cleaned up and tested one at time:

Multitool Mark V 500
Pro Planer
Magna Jigsaw w/Power Stand
Band Saw
Belt Sander
Jointer
Biscuit Joiner
Table Router w/Stand (Table itself is now junk)
Dust Collection
Misc. Related SS Stuff

The stand alone Magna Jigsaw. It needs some TLC and is missing a few parts to return to service.

After having fired it up very briefly. Based on the sound, I think it is out of oil and I felt no hint of air for the air puffing feature. It does run!

Repair parts most likely needed:

Oil (how much, what kind)
502270 Oil Gasket
502239 Pump Seal

Missing parts are:

502234 Air Fitting
502248 Air Hose

I would appreciate any advice and if you have sourcing for parts.

Thanks,
Oil - Any light oil like 3 in one. I use Turbine oil with the zoom spout. Makes it easy to put in. How much? Up to the bottom of the filler hole.

Gasket - Make one from gasket material from an automotive supply store.

Pump Seal - If it is not missing just soak it in the oil above. No need to remove it just oil it. It should come back to life.

Air Fitting - Shown as available from SS for $4.95

Air Hose - It is clear plastic hose. It should be available at a big box store. If not try a tropical fish/aquarium store. It is used with air pumps for aquariums.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As John said above most of those are pretty easy to take care. Shopsmith no longer makes parts for the Jig Saw but still has some left in stock. The gasket is not one of them. You have the Oil Gasket as part number 502270 which is actually the Housing Cover. The Cover's Gasket is part 502274.

The airline is the same as Aquarium tubing and is easy to find.

When making a gasket for the main housing cover remember there is a breather hole under the upper right screw hole in the side of the housing. The gasket has to be cut so it does not block the hole. The picture below is an original factory gasket. Note the indents at the arrows. Only one indent is actually needed and would be placed over the vent hole.
Jig Saw Gasket - arrows.jpg
Jig Saw Gasket - arrows.jpg (613.53 KiB) Viewed 17952 times
The gasket could be left solid except for the 4 screw holes and the breather hole.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.