Very Nice!

I like that wood tone and grain.

Jihn

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Mesquite band saw boxes

#258903 by algale » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Wonderful!

---

Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

#259787 by adamkearns » Tue May 21, 2019 5:00 am

Looks great! With which did you cover these wooden boxes?

#259831 by artman60 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:34 pm

Those are beautiful, you have given me a goal to shoot for, Kudos.

---

The clock of life is wound but once.

#260117 by STB » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:37 pm

adamkearns wrote:Looks great! With which did you cover these wooden boxes?

The boxes were finished with one coat of hand rubbed sanding sealer, rubbing the sealer into the open grain and inclusions. After sanding a wipe on coat of polyurethane was applied and sanded. The final finish was Johnson paste wax applied with a worn-out scotch pad then buffed. I experimented with several stains and finishes but leaving the finish natural wood and waxing seamed to give it a warm natural look that felt good to the touch.
As a side note Rounds were saved from the shredder after the very old Mesquite tree was cut down for a nature walk parking lot.

---

Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, SS Sawsmith 2000, dedicatedted Mark V drill press, DC3300, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench

#260121 by JPG » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Interesting!

A 'very old mesquite tree' was cut down so as to create a parking lot for a nature trail.

Good Grief!!!

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

#260127 by ChrisNeilan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:38 am

Outstanding!

---

Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe