Speed Reducer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Speed Reducer

Post by wa2crk »

Dusty
Just checked the speed reducer and found that there is no number on the belts. Just the "Pirelli" name and the letter "P" with a bunch of hash marks behind the P. Like this "P ///////" and a stamped "Made in Italy" stamp. Bummer.
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wa2crk wrote:Dusty
Just checked the speed reducer and found that there is no number on the belts. Just the "Pirelli" name and the letter "P" with a bunch of hash marks behind the P. Like this "P ///////" and a stamped "Made in Italy" stamp. Bummer.
Bill V
There have other belts marked the same way. It was your reference to Pirelli that caught my attention. I suspect that at one time Pirelli made belts for Shopsmith. As I do maintenance I will be on the watch for Pirelli. I know I have them somewhere.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
nicehice
Silver Member

Post by nicehice »

It's the guy on Ebay. He did a good job. The bearings froze up. He also works on the motor.
SteveBig
Bronze Member

Post by SteveBig »

I've had issues with my speed reducer a couple of times now. First time the needle bearings both dried up, luckily only 1 bearing came apart. Just was using it again yesterday and the smaller needle bearing in the top spindle dried up and ended up wearing the shaft down. Now the shaft is worn down and there is slop when you push down on the spindle where you mount bowls to. This speed reducer is JUNK in my opinion. There is now way to grease things, unless you take it apart. It only takes maybe 10 minutes to tear it down, grease and put together. However you shouldn't need to do this, if there was better bearings used or somehow to get grease in. How many others have had bearing issues or am I the only one? FYI I got 2 finished bowls before I had issues.
SteveBig
Bronze Member

Post by SteveBig »

Yes the bearings freeze up...why because Shopsmith builds a faulty product. There is no way but to tear apart the speed reducer and grease up these bearings. I would think you need to tear this apart about every 10 hours of use and regrease. These needle bearings can't hold the grease in very well. Did the repair include new bearings or did they have to order the whole spindle assembly?