Speed Reducer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nicehice
Silver Member

Re: Speed Reducer

Post by nicehice »

I have found someone who repairs them and will be sending it off today. Hopefully, he'll have the answer.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Can you let the rest of us know who you found to do the repair>
Bill V
oddie
Gold Member

Post by oddie »

This video shows the inside of the reducer.
https://youtu.be/fDe9-NnxcHk

Also, there’s a person on eBay who claims to repair these speed reducers.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Oddie
You mentioned another video. Is that one done yet or is it in the future? I watched the video you posted a link to and it contains excellent information. I think that the click I hear in my unit is probably improper belt tension so I will check the tension. I use my speed reducer primarily when I finish a bowl. I have the Power Pro headstock and the speed reducer gets me down to about 35 RPM to lay on a finish. Thanks again for your post. Greatly appreciated.
Bill V
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

wa2crk wrote:Oddie
You mentioned another video. Is that one done yet or is it in the future? I watched the video you posted a link to and it contains excellent information. I think that the click I hear in my unit is probably improper belt tension so I will check the tension. I use my speed reducer primarily when I finish a bowl. I have the Power Pro headstock and the speed reducer gets me down to about 35 RPM to lay on a finish. Thanks again for your post. Greatly appreciated.
Bill V
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46RWQ ... per6tg&t=1
Last edited by rpd on Mon May 30, 2022 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

RPD
Thanks for the info.
To all others on this thread. I found a reference on the very last page of my speed reducer manual that the distance between the two washers on the tension adjustment spring should ALWAYS be 27/32 of an inch. Mine were not that distance apart so I will try to check today if the click is gone, sciatica permitting. :mad: For those who don't know sciatica is a real PITA. :D
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wa2crk wrote:RPD
Thanks for the info.
To all others on this thread. I found a reference on the very last page of my speed reducer manual that the distance between the two washers on the tension adjustment spring should ALWAYS be 27/32 of an inch. Mine were not that distance apart so I will try to check today if the click is gone, sciatica permitting. :mad: For those who don't know sciatica is a real PITA. :D
Bill V
SOME of us know!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

After adjusting the belt tension on my speed reducer the clicking noise appears to be gone. The belts were not adjusted equally to the 27/32 spacing that is required. The proper spacing keeps both belts tensioned correctly as well as keeping the lower shaft parallel to the upper shaft. The belts in my unit were manufactured by Pirelli and did not contain a Shopsmith part number. A search on the Shopsmith site indicated that the belts have to be a matched set and if you want them you will have to call Shopsmith for advice.
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wa2crk wrote:After adjusting the belt tension on my speed reducer the clicking noise appears to be gone. The belts were not adjusted equally to the 27/32 spacing that is required. The proper spacing keeps both belts tensioned correctly as well as keeping the lower shaft parallel to the upper shaft. The belts in my unit were manufactured by Pirelli and did not contain a Shopsmith part number. A search on the Shopsmith site indicated that the belts have to be a matched set and if you want them you will have to call Shopsmith for advice.
Bill V
Do you have a Pirelli #?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Dusty
I will get it for you. But it will probably be proprietary item.
Bill