510 Serial Number

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

stew
Gold Member

510 Serial Number

Post by stew »

I have been refurbishing a 510 that I picked up about 6-months ago. I am all done and as I am getting ready to sell it I was looking for the serial number which I thought was always on the vent plate. To my surprise it was not there and I looked all over the headstock and still found nothing. Anybody have any idea where it would be?
IMG_3127.JPG
IMG_3127.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 9199 times
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: 510 Serial Number

Post by wa2crk »

It may not be there. At some point in time Shopsmith moved away from serial numbers and started using date codes which were on stickers on the headstock. Sounds like yours went missing.
Bill V
jdonovan
Gold Member

Post by jdonovan »

I have 2 shopsmiths. My 84 has the serial # on that plate. My 88 has a sticker, which is located below the plate...Joe
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Another date clue would be the version of 510 you have. If the later version it was created in 1986 or later.

Date coding began in 1988 so yours is 30 yr old or younger..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

What is the difference between the two versions?
JPG
Platinum Member

differencs between early 510 vs later 510

Post by JPG »

Rails are slight different thickness. The older ones are thicker. OD is the same.

The rails are mounted to the table differently.

The older version uses tapped holes in the table and screws accessed through holes in the front edge of the rails(the most noticeable difference). The jack screws(that tighten into the 'tubes') are small and have a hole for insertion of the ss tool kit to tighten.

The newer(current) version has studs welded to the rail tubes. The mounting holes in the table are drilled only. Kepnuts retain the rails to the table. The spacers between the rails and the table are the same. The location of the center stud is different from the center screw on the older version. The jack screws are thumb wheels(larger with no hole).

The original jack screws with tool hole were quite adept at putting dimples in the 'tubes'.

'tubes' = table to table connecting tubes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

Thanks for that clarification, I have the newer version with the studs welded to the rail tubes. So my machine is 1988 or newer.