Powerpro Competitor

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Powerpro Competitor

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:Interesting that the link he provided doesn't seem to work anymore??

"404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know."

I'll check back later but it could be it was taken down?

Ed

Same here, interesting.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:Interesting that the link he provided doesn't seem to work anymore??

"404. That’s an error.

Ed
On the Facebook group he said that the dvrplus+ name was too close to another registered trademark, so he was going to have to change the name. He was soliciting potential replacement names. My guess is he took the website down and will setup a new one with a new name.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:

"404. That’s an error.

Ed
On the Facebook group he said that the dvrplus+ name was too close to another registered trademark, so he was going to have to change the name. He was soliciting potential replacement names. My guess is he took the website down and will setup a new one with a new name.
Kind of weird in my opinion. We shall see.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DVRplus
Bronze Member

Post by DVRplus »

I've temporarily taken the site down. It should be up soon but you may contact me via my Facebook page, For The Love Of Wood, or by email pmdvrsales@gmail.com
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Not so weird after all. I would call it "regrouping". This is an ambitious endeavor, to say the least, if it does succeed.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jcgorla
Gold Member

Post by jcgorla »

Definitely interested to see how this turns out. I'm looking to pull the trigger on an upgrade soon, but may hold off for the dvrplus+.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jcgorla wrote:Definitely interested to see how this turns out. I'm looking to pull the trigger on an upgrade soon, but may hold off for the dvrplus+.
REALLY?

If I was going to jump it would not be into "uncharted waters". With the PowerPro you do know that there are many happy users. Not so yet with the dvrplus.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jcgorla
Gold Member

Post by jcgorla »

I wouldn't say the waters are totally uncharted. It's still the same Striatech motor and control system sold online, with a warranty, so there is that going for it.

Uncharted waters to me would be more like those who retrofit treadmill motors to their SS.

The dvrplus+ is where Shopsmith should be today with the PowerPro. The better display, remote and Emergency button are things they should've added years ago.

Who knows? Maybe SS will take some hints and improve what they have. I haven't committed one way or the other yet, but very interested to see where this goes. For now I won't be in as much of a hurry for the PowerPro.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Cannot be silent here!

The "DVR Plus" is not a new thingie that appeared after the power pro per se.

It is essentially the DVR motor and control that Teknatrol has had on their lathe. The Power Pro is a modified control designed specifically for shopsmith and it's somewhat unique requirements.

I agree the stop/remote feature should have been included in the Power Pro.

I suspect safety concerns precluded that.

Putting that striatech motor in a SS headstock is indeed uncharted waters with little or no reliability experience to date.

You would be getting a non supported (by SS) misfit animal with less function than the Power Pro.

So if being a pioneer fits your persona, go for it. Just realize the risks we are trying to sensitize thee to. I have spent several decades looking for lower cost stuff and came to the conclusion all too recently that that is all too often a fool's game.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Whether it is a PowerPro or dvrplus+, keep in mind we are primarily buying a motor. Yes, I know there is the new 2 bearing quill, which you may or may not need (or want). However, you are primarily getting a motor. If this was a 10ER that needed a new motor, what choice would you make? Would you buy a $1000 Shopsmith 10ER motor, if it existed or a $500 Baldor motor or a DC variable speed motor from MKC tools? If you have a standalone drill press, bandsaw, etc., etc. in the shop and it needed a new motor would you use the original brand motor that went into it, or maybe upgrade to a Baldor or any other motor that you choose? Granted replacing the motor inside the Mark V headstock is a bit more challenging than these other applications so you could say that the PowerPro or dvrplus+ is a service, so you are paying for the $500 Striatech guts + 2 bearing quill + man hours of doing the upgrade work. Sure, part of that cost also goes to overhead for the warranty. I like to reduce problems down to their simplest form and for me, the PowerPro is now a $2.2k motor upgrade. You know for that kind of money, I could get a new "motor" for my car...that is some serious coin. Also, does anyone actually use their PowerPro, on a regular basis, to do shaping at 10k RPM? To me that 10k RPM upper limit is like the big number GHz sticker on an electronics box.

If a Shopsmith owner is comfortable with the risk of buying a dvrplus+, then that is $1k still in their pocket for other tool purchases. That risk entails that if the person offering dvrplus+ stops doing so, then either a) they might have to fix their own headstock, or b) find another person that works on headstocks willing to attempt it, or c) buy a new/used headstock and start over. At the end of the day, I am not trying to talk anyone into or out of buying a PowerPro or dvrplus+. I am just hoping to bring some perspective to this discussion. Until recently, Shopsmith was the only game in town when it came to PowerPro. Noone knows where this dvrplus+ effort will go, but as a Shopsmith owner I am grateful that there are choices now.

FYI...For comparison a Powermatic PM1000 (1 3/4 HP) TS motor replacement is $433.49 from the manufacturer, but of course this is a bolt-on replacement.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor