Dogwood bandsaw box. . .

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

swampgator
Platinum Member

Re: Dogwood bandsaw box. . .

Post by swampgator »

Now to continue this journey. I know this is dangerous, but I assumed that everyone would know that you glued the pulls on the drawer faces before applying any oil, wax or other finish. Also, I assumed that you know how to use a clamp while gluing the pulls to the drawer faces. Picture first is the box after about 7 coats of wipe on polyurethane. The second picture is left side showing where the worm borers left some of their evidence. That is what killed the tree. It was about 30 years old.
Last picture is the right side of the box. One more picture to go.
Attachments
dogwood SS D.jpg
dogwood SS D.jpg (132.14 KiB) Viewed 12776 times
worm holes visible.
worm holes visible.
dogwood SS E.jpg (127.25 KiB) Viewed 12776 times
Opposite side from the worm holes.
Opposite side from the worm holes.
dogwood SS F.jpg (149.21 KiB) Viewed 12776 times
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

This picture shows the basic history of the wood and box with my signature.

Now, I must admit this is the worst production I have ever done. My hands sporadically jump and it is hard to know when but I have to figure a way to cover it over. I have a couple more of these to do before I hang up my hat. Then I'll sell my tools. No one in the family is interested in doing this but they surely enjoy the products. I am totally self taught. I have read many books, watched many videos from Woodworkers Journal, many YOuTube presentation and about to read Power Tool woodworking for everyone. I was hoping to teach someone what I have dug out, but alas, it is not to be. This journey has been to learn the beauty of dogwood and it strange characteristics. Some of it is so dry that it took about 5 coats of poly before it quit soaking it up. So, have fun and enjoy every sawdust crumb or lath shavings you every make. Happy life to you.

Steve, in Pensacola, FL
Attachments
bottom with basic history and signature.
bottom with basic history and signature.
dogwood SS G.jpg (149.34 KiB) Viewed 12776 times
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

That box came out AWESOME, swampgator. It has more character than ten typical projects.

Sorry to hear about your hand-steadiness problem. I hope you can find a way to keep making sawdust. Free-handing with a bandsaw has to be one of the most challenging tasks that you could pick.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

+1

It looks great.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

very nice job, this should remove any doubt of the SS band saw quality , the wipe on poly looks good .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)