Mark 2 Restoration

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

domdbomb
Silver Member

Mark 2 Restoration

Post by domdbomb »

Hey all, new to the forum but I've been looking around for a while. I picked up a Mark 2 today from someone on Craigslist, I think I got a decent deal on it. Anyways, I'm looking to fix her up and hopefully start using it.

So I had a couple questions on the tune up.
1. Is there anywhere with a pdf of the manual? I know the Mark 2 isn't all that common so maybe there isn't and I'll just make sure to take care of the original. I also have a manual for the jointer, looks like Magna model 620-C. Didn't know if there was a good place to check for them online.
2. What's the best way to clean up the rust? I saw some posts on it, but electrolysis is not an option (my mother already thinks I'm a bit insane, we don't need to prove her point) so I didn't know the preferred rust removal solution is for you guys.
3. What other parts might I need? I might try to get a disc sander, will a Mark V one fit? I thought I read that most things that get connected to the rotating part will fit. I think I will replace the belt as well, didn't see anything with a quick glance at the manual, what's the best way to check the size and what's a good brand to buy from?
4. Is the cup center supposed to rotate? I've never used a lathe before but I would like to try. Right now it's very rusty and didn't know if I should just pick a new one up.

Sorry I asked about a hundred questions, hopefully you guys can answer some of them! I saw there was a maintenance guide, so I'll be sure to read through all that to make sure that it doesn't get like this again!

Also, here is a gallery of pictures I took of it, hopefully it will explain what I'm working with. Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Dom
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Mark 2 Restoration

Post by everettdavis »

You show a picture of the Mark 2 Manual in your post link to pictures. Is there any way you could flatten it out under a stack of books and later scan it? I will restore it and put it back as a restored PDF for other users to reference if you would be so kind.

In the Large Format Drawings post near the top of this forum you will find a comprehensive rust removal document by following the My Google Drive Link.

Kind regards,

Everett
domdbomb
Silver Member

Post by domdbomb »

Yeah, I can most definitely get you a scan of it. it's in decent condition except for the front. Do you want a scan of the Magna jointer too? I should be able to get them to you later today or tomorrow.
Also, thanks for the tip on rust removal, I will check it out.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

The 5/8" spindle will accept a disc sander

The center for the tailstock standard does not spin and is polished and stock rotates on it. Waxing it helps keep burning from friction down. They made a live center with bearing as an option. If yours mounts with #2 Morse taper, they will fit. Shopsmith and others use those.

Wrap the rusty tubes with strips of old rags and put a rust removal product on that wrapping afterwards with kitchen plastic wrap to cut down on evaporation. I use Evaporust for soaking parts after I get all the oil and grime off with soap and water. Read the rust document I mentioned in previous post for much more info.

On the Jointer just send the cover page so I can see if we have it already

I prefer 300 dpi scans in color if you have that option.

Jpg tif png whatever works best for you

Send to ShopsmithHistorian@gmail.com
Save your Evaporust by filtering through a coffee filter in a funnel, as it is reusable several times. it is very environmentally friendly product.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress

Everett

The Mark 2 May not be the most common or strongest built model but the maintenance processes on lubrication cleaning and waxing parts with Johnson's Paste Wax is identical.
Last edited by everettdavis on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

My tablet went off the deep end on that last post. I had to edit over a dozen typos or substitution errors after posting

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

First WELCOME to this forum!!!

You probably do not realize it but you have already provided the most complete set of pictures of a Mark 2 that appears to have all it's parts.

The tail stock has been modified by the addition of the u clamp(a good improvement IMO).

Re rust removal - PLEASE do not do so by abrasion.

Electrolysis IS the best method for large parts.

Evaporust is excellent for smaller parts.

'We' can help you through your restoration effort which I think you are willing to undertake.

Ignore that boat anchor comment by an obvious ignoramus! ;)

Assure your mother that you are not crazy. A bit eccentric perhaps but all independent minded persons are that way.

I need to check out one detail that I am concerned about. It has to do with the vertical position lock parts. I will reply in a later post regarding this.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Need another picture. The knob viewed from the other side indicated by the arrow below.
MARK 2 knob.jpg
MARK 2 knob.jpg (130.03 KiB) Viewed 11774 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
domdbomb
Silver Member

Post by domdbomb »

Thanks for the motivation guys. The guy I bought the Mark 2 from aparantly 'inherited' it when he bought his house. I'm sure it's been sitting in his garage for a while. I'm glad the pictures are helpful, I can take plenty more.
On the topic of electrolysis, I'll give it another read and maybe give it a try.
For the center, if I remove the rust and polish it a bit, it should work fine then, correct?
I will be sure to get the other picture to you, JPG, later today. Had to run out and work on a project for school. I look forward to the restoration!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The 'secret' to operating correctly after rust removal is that NOTHING other than rust is removed. Abrasive rust removal usually includes removal of base material as well which can be undesirable..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Here is a piece of information you may like, as it validates the Mark 2 was sold by Magna / Shopsmith in May 1958.

Everett

I have some additional files in a article I will post for you as soon as I resize them down to fit that are relative to the Mark 2
Mark 2 Popular Mechanics May 1958 small.png
Mark 2 Popular Mechanics May 1958 small.png (703.43 KiB) Viewed 11749 times