Mark 2 Restoration

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mark 2 Restoration

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:Since my extension and live center came as a set I have not used the Shopsmith one that I recall even trying. Good information to know Thanks!

I will take that into consideration and if I need to, I will weld a ball bearing ball on the end of my SS Morse #2 dead center and drill chuck extensions.

We are so much more when we all contribute what our experiences teaches us collectively!

Everett
I would refrain from welding a ball bearing on the short 'tang'. I be a stickler for keeping things 'original' or at least returnable to original.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
badtheba
Gold Member

Re: Mark 2 Restoration

Post by badtheba »

After reading all the horrible things about Mark 2's months ago when I first came across ShopSmiths, it's refreshing to read this thread and sense the love that exists for these machines too. I almost bought one on a trip to Michigan's U.P. last year, but alas my wife was with me. Also, the person listed it as a lathe and didn't use the name ShopSmith anywhere in the listing, and thought it was worth more than it was. It's possible it's still for sale.

At least after reading all the contributions here I won't feel too much shame if I ever do pick up a 2!