Advice for Potential Buyer

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dmillspa
Silver Member

Advice for Potential Buyer

Post by dmillspa »

Hello Shopsmith Folks,

I am considering buying a Shopsmith Mark VII, with bandsaw and dust collector attachment to be placed in my limited space in a two car garage. From your experience with Shopsmith,

what questions should I be asking?

have you found a way to move your Shopsmith as needed for larger work?

Thanks for any thoughts, comments, suggestions. San Diego Buyer
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Advice for Potential Buyer

Post by wa2crk »

If you plan to move the machine to do work, get the casters. Using the bandsaw will almost always require you to move the machine. The upgraded makes moving it very easy. In fact too easy. When I first put them on my machine I gave it a little and it almost rolled into my wife's car. She would not have been happy!!
I often move the machine into the main garage area but my shop area will still allow me to do lathe work or sanding in the smaller area. It is much easier to move than a larger and heavy table saw.
Bill V
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Is this the Mark VII you are looking at?
MARK-VII_SS Inc.jpg
MARK-VII_SS Inc.jpg (7.93 KiB) Viewed 9735 times
If so I would reconsider which model of Shopsmith you buy. The Mark VII (shown above) was made in the 1960's for only a few years. Replacement parts are all used ones or some that people have recreated and sell on sites like ebay. I would recommend getting a Mark V. Since the Mark V is still in production new parts are available for it. The Mark VII is much bulkier and the only functions it has over the Mark V is reverse (not a common need) and double tilt for under-table routing and shaping. Both of these functions can be added to the Mark V with the Double Tilt Upgrade and the PowerPro headstock. These upgrades will cost you a lot but the Power Pro Headstock will give you a wider speed range with reverse. The same Band Saw will work on either machine along with other SPT's. If you were looking at it as a collectors item I would say go for it but as your only machine, no.

Now that having been said if this is the Mark 7 you are looking at and the price is good than go for it. New it is $4279.00.
mark7site.jpg
mark7site.jpg (75.19 KiB) Viewed 9735 times
This is what you can upgrade a Mark V 520 to with the double tilt and powerpro.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
dmillspa
Silver Member

Post by dmillspa »

Thank you for your quick and helpful response. I didn't realize there was an older Mark VII model, so appreciate the counsel. If I am understanding correctly the newer Mark VII is about the upgraded Mark V? Is there a reason one would buy and upgrade a Mark V rather than a straight out purchase of a Mark VII?
dmillspa
Silver Member

Post by dmillspa »

I had wondered about casters placed myself, but I think you are suggesting that casters are an optional add on. I will check that out. If so that would be great. I placed casters on the workbench I built and am glad I did. Appreciate the caution regarding your wife's car. I am in the same situation. Good to know that a lot of work can be done in a more confined space. Thank you for your helpful feedback so quickly.
dmillspa
Silver Member

Post by dmillspa »

OK, I was a bit slow on the draw here, Mark VII vs. Mark 7!! I assumed that a newer Mark V would be a Mark VII, thanks for catching that. I would be surprised if I ended up with a Mark VII, when I thought I was ordering a Mark 7.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Check out the buying a used SS guide and other links in the sticky posts at the top of the Maintenance and Repair section. A lot of information for someone looking to purchase a SS or new to the machine.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

dmillspa wrote:OK, I was a bit slow on the draw here, Mark VII vs. Mark 7!! I assumed that a newer Mark V would be a Mark VII, thanks for catching that. I would be surprised if I ended up with a Mark VII, when I thought I was ordering a Mark 7.
When considering a Mark X (any vintage) sometimes price is the only factor and other time price is not a factor. If you are contemplating a new purchase, then my opinion is that you can't go wrong with the Mark 7. It has it's flaws like any machine, but all in all, for what you get, it is well worth the money.

Also, you can save quite a bit of money by purchasing a New Mark 7 from a Lowes demonstration, or by contacting Doug Reid and by watching one of his Youtube demos. You will get a pretty good discount and usually a choice of spt when you buy it through Doug.

This is a Mark 7 Youtube demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjnF5WfPaTQ

And this is Doug's Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7tSfW ... j_6zclQOmg

Either way, they are great machines!
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There is confusion about the Mark VII and Mark 7 models. The Mark VII was made in the 1960's but it has marking on the machine that say both Mark VII, the more visual marking and on a small plate Mark 7. The 1960's model is generally referred to as a Mark VII. The new Mark 7 was released in 2010 and follows the Shopsmith philosophy of having older machines up-gradable to newer Mark versions. The new Mark 7 uses many of the same parts as the Mark V. It's two main differences from the Mark V 520 is the PowerPro motor in the headstock with some different internal headstock parts and the Double Tilt which is a modified base and arm from the Mark V. The main differences of the Mark V versions is the table/fence systems of the original one the 500, the 505 (same as the 510 w/o floating tables), the 510 and 520. The Mark 7 uses the 520 table/fence system. There has been many changes to the Mark 5 from it's introduction in 1954 but even those first Mark 5's can be upgraded to a Mark 7. Note the use of Mark 5 and Mark V. In 1980 the Shopsmith itself had the model markings on the machines vent/serial number plate change from Mark 5 to Mark V although Mark V had been used on printed materials for several years prior to that.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
dmillspa
Silver Member

Post by dmillspa »

Thanks to everyone for great feedback. I have watched the videos, am in conversation with Doug regarding assessing my want/needs and possible purchase, have reviewed some of the posts - a wealth of information on the Maintenance and Repair section, and appreciating your other comments. What a great Community.