Johnson Paste Wax

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Johnson Paste Wax

Post by dusty »

I have had my Johnson Paste Wax get soft and liquid like; same as your your "bad" can. It is called "melted". Store it somewhere cool and it will re-solidify.

I live in Arizona and my shop is an open garage with no AC. I'd go broke if I replaced my wax every time it got soft.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote:I have had my Johnson Paste Wax get soft and liquid like; same as your your "bad" can. It is called "melted". Store it somewhere cool and it will re-solidify.

I live in Arizona and my shop is an open garage with an AC. I'd go broke if I replaced my wax every time it got soft.

My basement shop stays cool all summer (it's been in the mid to upper 90's A LOT outside this year). Since I moved the woodshop to the basement I have always kept my JPW and oil on a narrow ledge on a wall well away from the wood-burning furnace. I have now removed that wall and it is sitting on a shelf near the bench and both are near the furnace. I should find it a cooler home before winter. So far the shop has stayed a little too warm for comfortable working in much of the winter. I have one more air duct to run and I think I will be able to keep the shop cool enough in the winter. It doesn't stay "hot" in the winter but it will stay in the mid 70's and you can work up a sweat. I like it about 65 for working and that is about where it stays all summer. And the JPW won't melt. :)

I have found that I don't have to use as much JPW since I moved the shop to the basement. Out in the farm shop and later in the former store I was constantly waxing way tubes, quills etc. whether I was using something or not because of condensation from rather wildly swinging temperatures. Now it barely seems necessary. The AC keeps things dry all summer and the furnace keeps them dry all winter. The temps rarely ever vary more than 8 or 10 degrees at the most. The seldom heated farm shop on the other hand can vary by up to 110 degrees over the course of the year (from -20 up to about 90+) and is only truly dry when it stays below freezing. I had a chill and then broke out in a sweat just typing this... :D :D :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Stir it up first and then put in the frig.It should be ok after 24 hrs. Mine did that in the hot garage here in Florida.
Bill V
JohnTKelly
Bronze Member

Post by JohnTKelly »

I bought a bucket last week which looked like the same chunky slop pictured at the start of this thread. Started wondering whether that was ok and found this article via internet search. While I thought for a moment about returning it to HD, I just went down to the garage and had another peek into the can. It is still that darker color, but it has firmed up to the texture of butter now and looks just like the new one pictured just above in the thread. It must be a temperature thing. When I bought it we had mid eighties temps outside and this morning it is 63 outside and likely 55 in my garage.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Wax melts at a very low temperature(especially carnuba). That is why shoe shine guys rapidly traverse a rag over the shoe to shine it.

For those less ancient, someone else explain what a shoe shine guy* is :D !

* "boy" is now non-PC! :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

I think "shoe shine guy" is PC compared to the original term. "Shoe Shine Person" may be more PC. :D

I have had my JPW get a little "sweaty" at times in the summer but cooled down it is fine again. Never has it been as bad as that first picture. I have had it for a couple of decades. It is getting a little low so I will have to replace it one of these years.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DOWeaver
Gold Member

Post by DOWeaver »

" Shoe shine boy "is still fine . Saturday mornings "Under Dog"
Dale
1992 Mark V with 510 upgrades All SPT Machine in black II
1950 #24616 10 E Demo All Parts and extras used as drill press. Teresa
1951 #45246 10 ER SS Refurbished Shelly + Brent
Early 1951 #47982 10 ER SS Refurbished
Late 1951 #53316 10 ER SS Refurbished
Also addicted tool collector
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Those Under Dog cartoons, unless there are newer ones, were made way back when we didn't know the term PC.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.