Updating my Festool CT26 with bluetooth

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Updating my Festool CT26 with bluetooth

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:I have both hoses, the smaller one I have integrated with a plug-it cord, that is nice depending on what you are doing but I might spring for the new version smooth hose for times when I don't need the cord at the same time as the hose.

And yes the festool anti-static is a system, if you use their system then you have the protection, if you need it is a mater of debate. There was a lot of debate before the oneida was redesigned to be anti-static. Things like an added coupling or an adapter that is added in can cause the link to be broken, the easy way to prevent that is to use their parts.

Ed
Thanks...Yeah, that was kind of my debate, i.e. IF I eventually get the CT26 then might I want an additional hose...and if so, which hose to get? The hose with integrated power is a good point because I am sure I would use that if I get one of their sanders for sure. I may be wrong on this, but if I were to get an anti-static hose, I think I could make it work with a non-Festool vacuum - for now. I believe the hose end that goes to the vacuum is a standard vacuum diameter and I assume the anti-static grounding is through a terminal on the edge of this hose end. I would have to rig something up to contact this; likely copper foil tape so that an Earth ground could be connected to it.

Unrelated to Festool, my small diameter vacuum hose for my sanders just broke this past week (had it a long time). So, debating whether to patch it, buy a new cheap hose or possibly get a Festool hose that I could use with my Domino, OF1400 and non-Festool sanders right now.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The Festool and Oneida both use conductive plastics so no metal contacts anywhere on the hoses or where they attach.

The newer hose which I might get is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791L3TBK/?c ... _lig_dp_it

The hose I have with cord is a diy project:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/comm ... 19861.html

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:The Festool and Oneida both use conductive plastics so no metal contacts anywhere on the hoses or where they attach.

The newer hose which I might get is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791L3TBK/?c ... _lig_dp_it

The hose I have with cord is a diy project:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/comm ... 19861.html

Ed
Ed,

Thanks. Yeah, a DIY solution would be a lot cheaper than the $375 for the Festool 201778 Hose W/ Sleeve. Ouch :eek:
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

So, I have some measurements that I thought I would share. I know the topic of "quiet" shop vacs has come up a few times on the forum. I recorded some crude measurements in my shop with the Festool CT26. I primarily wanted to record new vacuum, clean HEPA filter and empty bag to have some baseline data for future to compare against when the filter and bag get full. If I eventually get the Oneida Ultimate Dust Deputy, I will measure with and without it. Bottomline, the Festool CT26 is a little quieter than my ShopVac, but I guess that isn't saying much because these noise levels are still quite loud and can damage hearing. If I can get away with the min setting on sanding operations, maybe the noise level will be improved. However, I did a quick check with the hose hooked up to the Domino and the noise level increased with it connected, so perhaps the data below is best case scenario. Like I said data is crude, e.g. noise data will vary depending on tool, or no tool, hooked up to hose end and how those dust ports are shaped. Festool specs 62dBA noise at min setting and 137CFM at max setting and I measured close to this.

Anyway, here is the data if anyone is interested:

Vac Airflow (a misnomer, I know since SP is optimized in a vacuum):
At 2.25" vac inlet: CFM=132.34 @ max setting.......CFM=86.2 @ min setting

At end of 3.5Mx27mm hose: CFM=112.04 @ max setting.......CFM=69.04 @ min setting

Vac Noise Level (no hose connected, no tool):
Next to Vac: 83dBA @ max setting.......78dBA @ min setting

At 10' from Vac: 71dBA @ max setting.......63dBA @ min setting

Vac Noise Level (3.5Mx27mm hose connected, but no tool):
Next to Vac: 91dBA @ max setting.......85dBA @ min setting

At 10' from Vac: 85dBA @ max setting.......75dBA @ min setting

If looking for a quiet shop vac, I would have to say the Festool is nice because it is variable airflow and can be slightly lower noise if you throttle it back. If you truly need a quiet shop vac, I would say probably consider the Fein or enclose the vac in a sound isolating box.
Last edited by RFGuy on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
📶RF Guy

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

RFGuy, how did you measure the airflow? I’d like to be able to do that myself. As for the sound pressure, are you using a smartphone app or a dedicated instrument?

I do have some quiet dust-collector info that might be of interest. A while back, I bought a new-in-box Jet 2HP dust collector with a canister filter. It was normally a $750 unit, IIRC, but it had some cosmetic shipping damage to the canister, and it had a 3-phase motor. Asking price was $200, so I snapped it up and then spent $200 for a VFD to power it.

While my primary purpose for the VFD was simply to power the motor, the variable-speed capability turned out to be pretty amazing. Subjectively, the noise level drops by about 80% when I reduce the blower speed by 20%. At 50% speed, it’s whisper-quiet. And as this unit is rated at 1200 CFM, it’s still moving a LOT of air.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:RFGuy, how did you measure the airflow? I’d like to be able to do that myself. As for the sound pressure, are you using a smartphone app or a dedicated instrument?

I do have some quiet dust-collector info that might be of interest. A while back, I bought a new-in-box Jet 2HP dust collector with a canister filter. It was normally a $750 unit, IIRC, but it had some cosmetic shipping damage to the canister, and it had a 3-phase motor. Asking price was $200, so I snapped it up and then spent $200 for a VFD to power it.

While my primary purpose for the VFD was simply to power the motor, the variable-speed capability turned out to be pretty amazing. Subjectively, the noise level drops by about 80% when I reduce the blower speed by 20%. At 50% speed, it’s whisper-quiet. And as this unit is rated at 1200 CFM, it’s still moving a LOT of air.
So, I have the Extech AN100 Thermal Anemometer (pic below). I paid $140 on Amazon for it, so it wasn't cheap. There were a few alternatives on Amazon for about half that price, but I couldn't find one with decent reviews. At the time, I was debugging some balance issues room-to-room with my HVAC system. It was cheaper for me to spend that much and re-balance it myself than to call an HVAC guy out. Since then, I have used it a few times to do dust collector experiments. It helped me to decide to switch to my ShopVac setup with cyclone over my DC3300. A lot of the shop testing I have been doing, I am more interested in reference measurements (A-B) than absolute measurements. So, I don't know how accurate my unit really is. Also, I believe the preferred method for testing DC airflow is to have a certain length of straight pipe hooked up to the dust collector and insert an Anemometer probe into this duct at a certain length, which I can't do with my unit.

For sound level, I have used both smartphone apps and SPL meters. Yesterday for this data, I used my Radio Shack SPL meter because all measurements were above the minimum 60dB range on it. I think an app on a decent smartphone would work just as well.

That's interesting on the 3 phase dust collector (DC) and congrats on having one of those. I know 3 phase motors are supposed to be less noisy than 1 phase motors, but I would suspect that airflow noise (impeller and airflow at end of hose/tool) would dominate. For example, look at my data here for hose versus no hose on the Festool. If I remove the hose and turn the unit all the way down, then I can get near the factory spec'ed 62dBA noise level. However, I don't find DC/vacuums to be very useful with hoses/ducts removed. :D Look at how much the noise level went up with hoses on my vacuum.

That's a really nice setup and if you do get an Anemometer, you could measure the airflow at the tool while you vary your Jet DC. Point being you could dial back the DC to cut down on noise, if you have sufficient airflow at that particular tool to meet its needs. The Anemometer that I have has several unit settings. The main one is in ft/min, but it will do CFM if you set the area in the meter. To save time yesterday, I took all measurements in ft/min and calculated the CFM numbers based on the area of that measurement. BE CAREFUL though if you decide to purchase one of these. You have a very powerful DC and it could easily be above the range of operation for the fan on an Anemometer. The cheaper units can easily have the fan burn up when placed into a fast air stream like your DC ducts at over 1000CFM, which is why I think they use probe style Anemometers. My unit is a bit more robust, but also would probably have trouble in greater than 1000CFM airstream. Specs for mine are below and it claims it could handle it, but I haven't tried it yet. Of course, you could start with your DC at its minimum setting and slowly raise the speed to see if the Anemometer ever goes out of range...to protect it.

UPDATE: Just ran a quick calc and with your 1200CFM DC, if you have 6" duct that works out to 6000 ft/min which according to the specs below is right at the end of the range on my Anemometer. Assuming the entire range is useable and linear, you could probably use the model Anemometer that I have. Once a little bit of static pressure loss is introduced with some ducting, you should be within range on the unit for measurements. If running smaller than 6" duct, it would definitely out of range this model due to the the higher ft/min of the airstream.
AN100.jpg
AN100.jpg (70.04 KiB) Viewed 11332 times
AN100specs.jpg
AN100specs.jpg (79.08 KiB) Viewed 11325 times
📶RF Guy

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Just for comparison sake..this is what I get with my 12 gallon stainless 6.5 HP (peak) ShopVac™ vacuum, with and without cyclone:

Vac Airflow (a misnomer, I know since SP is optimized in a vacuum):
At 2.25" vac inlet (no cyclone): CFM=163.9

At ClearVue CV06 cyclone inlet CFM=131.2

At end of 12'x2" hose (w/cyclone): CFM=114.2 (still >4000ft/min so more than sufficient for dust collection at Mark V)

Vac Noise Level (no hose connected, no cyclone):
Next to Vac: 95dBA

At 10' from Vac: 81dBA

Vac Noise Level (12'x2" hose connected w/cyclone, but no tool):
Next to Vac: 90dBA

At 10' from Vac: 81dBA

Note that I only lose 20% airflow with the addition of the ClearVue Mini cyclone, which I don't think is too bad for cyclone loss. Not sure how the Oneida equivalent unit compares. I do lose an additional 13% due to SP losses in the 12' hose though...At a 10' distance, my ShopVac™ setup is quieter than the Festool but only because of the hose difference. I am sure if I put the Festool 3.5Mx27mm hose on the ShopVac™ it would be as noisy or more noisy. The dust port (on tool or at end of the hose) greatly impacts the noise level, which I think makes sense because of the increased turbulence of forcing an airstream through a smaller orifice.

Okay, I need to get back to making sawdust, but wanted to record some of these measurements on the Festool CT26 before I start filling it up with dust. I hope this data is useful for anyone contemplating a new shop vacuum and/or dust collection.
📶RF Guy

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I have barely used the CT26 so far, but the airflow has dropped about 1% from new. I don't consider this much and would have to see how it does with time (of course a cyclone would minimize this). Based on reviews, I expect it will do well (without a cyclone). Hooked up my ClearVue CV06 Mini cyclone to it and took a quick measurement. Getting 119.5 CFM at the cyclone inlet which is only a 10% drop due to adding the cyclone. I don't know how the Oneida Ultimate Dust Deputy performs with the CT26, but I would have to assume it is similar to the ClearVue CV06. The 10% drop in efficiency due to cyclone is great compared to the 20% drop that I observed with this same ClearVue CV06 with my ShopVac™. I would say this confirms previous threads here that discussed seeing negligible degradation due to adding this cyclone in front of the CT26. It definitely seems like the CT26 performs very well with a cyclone in front of it so that seems like a good combination to me...
📶RF Guy