motor slow down

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wayy999
Silver Member

Re: motor slow down

Post by wayy999 »

Hi again just check my mark 5 and it is broken off the loop to the bearing , do you know how to replace it? is it pressed in? how to get the old one out? thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wayy999 wrote:thankyou that looks like what my problem is ,I do not see the bearing and loop.
It might be under the motor.

In any event, I recommend for you to replace the control sheave.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wayy999
Silver Member

Post by wayy999 »

Found the bearing and loop on ebay, so you think it would be harder to install that then replace the control sheave?
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

If you are good at machining you MAY be able to replace the "button bearing". I did, but I have more than one lathe and a good chuck. Replace the sheaves, it is a quick and good fix.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If you have been running it without the bearing and loop at lower speeds, the control sheave is possibly damaged beyond being able to 'simply' replace them.

Also possibly damaged is the 'control arm'(quadrant gear/porkchop).

Do try to overcome the picture posting process. It would eliminate all this 'probably' stuff.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Pictures sure would help.

You may want to start taking it apart as you may find other damage and then decide if you want to fix it or if you want to find another solution.

Other options would include a shopsmith rebuild, one of several people who do rebuilds, doing it yourself, and you can also find used headstocks on places like ebay and simple replace what you have(of course the condition of the replacement would/could be a new set of issues). The cheaper path will likely be doing it yourself but sometimes finding the time to do it can be an issue.

The other option which some of us have bought into is to own multiple machines. That way you can continue with projects and do the rebuild as time permits. You can often get a whole machine for the price of a headstock. Once having a second machine I would find it hard to go back to just one. I keep one set up as a drill press as an example. If space is an issue then you can make a shorty or some amount of a reduced size machine by cutting the tubes. I have one of those as well, mine is a 2/3 size and pretty much allows all the operations.

The failure is often associated with the lack of lubrication and if that is the case one needs to know if the other parts that need lubrication did in deed get that or not. Most of this is simple matter but has to be done every 10 hours of operation. On used machines you never know how well they were maintained, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. But once you own it then you have to do the maintenance or pay the price in down time and replacement parts.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't disagree with any of the comments regarding the path to repair but I much prefer "doing it myself" if at all possible. This is how you learn what you are capable of and what it takes to properly maintain your Mark 5/V.

Removing, repairing and/or replacing items like the control sheave are well within the capabilities of a serious do it yourself.

I'm willing to bet that this is well within your capabilities and would serve as an excellent training ground for you. Remember, you always have the forum to fall back on for assistance.

Side Comment: Do take some time and learn how to post photo images. To assist in this endeavor please define what sort of problem you have when posting images.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

wayy999 wrote:hope you got my 3 picture had to send 3 time not sure how to post 3 on one reply? I see the the lower one but the upper one is attached to the speed knob so not sure how that works?
You can have up to 10 pictures in one post. :)

- Resize the photo to meet all of these parameters, maximum size limits are 2050 pixels wide x 1180 pixels tall x 2 MB (reducing the resolution in pixels should take care of the file size)

- in the full editor click - Browse - select the picture on your computer click Save - click Add flle (this actually uploads it to the forum) if there is a problem there will be an error message - place the cursor in the message window where you want the photo to appear and click Place in line, this should add a line that says something like (will have square brackets instead of curved) (attachment=0)file name(/attachment)

To check that it worked click on Preview and it will open a new pane showing how the message will look when posted, including any photos or videos. Repeat to add more photos.

When done click Submit to post the message.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
wayy999
Silver Member

Post by wayy999 »

Thanks everyone I replaced the control sheave and my mark 5 works like a dream, thanks again.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Yay!!! :D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA