motor slow down

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wayy999
Silver Member

motor slow down

Post by wayy999 »

Hi I have a mark 5 1 1/8 amp model and when I go above "r-s" on the speed adjustment it starts slowing down and stops at "z " , belt looking ok and did oil where the manual said to. any ideas? thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: motor slow down

Post by JPG »

Did you oil the floating sheave on the motor shaft?

Take the belt cover off. Observe the motor pulley/floating sheave.

I am guessing it stops moving above "R" and the belt slips.

Oil it* with 'vigor'. Make sure it will slide all the way.

*Shaft as well as the dinky hole.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:Did you oil the floating sheave on the motor shaft?

Don't oil "it". Oil the sheave.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
JPG wrote:Did you oil the floating sheave on the motor shaft?

Don't oil "it". Oil the sheave.
"IT" is the space between the shaft and the sheave that the sheave slides on.

I did not state that clearly above. :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wayy999
Silver Member

Post by wayy999 »

Hi Rusty
I looked at the motor with the cover off and see that the upper (control sheave) opens up way wide to the point the belt is loose. so it is no longer turning the lower one. so ideas on how to fix? thanks Wayne
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wayy999 wrote:Hi Rusty
I looked at the motor with the cover off and see that the upper (control sheave) opens up way wide to the point the belt is loose. so it is no longer turning the lower one. so ideas on how to fix? thanks Wayne
For starters, the lower pulley(motor shaft) drives the belt.

The upper control sheave alters the effective diameter(opens/closes) of the idler pulley.

The lower floating sheave adjusts the effective belt tension.

Thus at high speed, the upper control sheave opens and the lower floating sheave must close(belt moves to the outer circumference)to maintain tension. Since your belt is slipping at high speed, I suspect from your description that the floating sheave is NOT closing sufficiently to maintain tension.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

wayy999
Silver Member

Post by wayy999 »

yes so what can I do to close the upper sheave? or stop or adjust so it does not open so much at the higher speeds?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wayy999 wrote:yes so what can I do to close the upper sheave? or stop or adjust so it does not open so much at the higher speeds?
Your problem is not the upper sheave opening too much.

It is the lower sheave not closing enough.

It is called the control sheave because it is what is adjusted to control speed. The floating sheave responds to that so as to maintain belt tension.

Take a look at the lower pulley. At 'fast' the belt should ride near the outer rim.

If this is not making sense, perhaps some pix of what is occurring would help.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

wayy999
Silver Member

Post by wayy999 »

Here are pics
wayy999
Silver Member

Post by wayy999 »

JPG wrote:
wayy999 wrote:yes so what can I do to close the upper sheave? or stop or adjust so it does not open so much at the higher speeds?
Your problem is not the upper sheave opening too much.

It is the lower sheave not closing enough.

It is called the control sheave because it is what is adjusted to control speed. The floating sheave responds to that so as to maintain belt tension.

Take a look at the lower pulley. At 'fast' the belt should ride near the outer rim.

If this is not making sense, perhaps some pix of what is occurring would help.