Shopsmith History

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith History

Post by everettdavis »

Without finding the text you are referencing the V-B I believe may have been a reference to the Mark V with B series headstock.

In 1991 Mark V Models were introduced with the “C” Headstock featuring a Red Safety Key Switch

Would that logically be a V-C, and yes I suspect some might then call a headstock pre-drilled and outfitted for the PowerPro drive train as a V-D (digital ready) headstock series.

Can you post a link to the V-B reference from Shopsmith that you reference above? I have looked for it, but nothing I searched with seemed to produce the results I wanted.

Thanks

Everett
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The 1st Mark 5 B headstock came out in October of 1955 when they added the rear access hole and discontinued the high speed lock. Serial Number 312507 and below are A headstocks. There have been changes to the B headstock over the years. The different holes to mount the speed changer.

The shopsmith reference for the 1984 change to the two bearing quill is

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/toolhistory.htm

It is the same Shopsmith History that I questioned at the beginning of this topic. And since we are on the history page again does anyone know when Magna American Corporation actually closed. The history page has it as 1964 but I have seen items dated later than that making me believe it was closer to 1967.

I look forward to seeing the documents Hans Goldschmidt brought to Shopsmith. I hope they make them available to us. But I don't think it will answer the question of when did Magna American close since he had already left working with the makers of the Shopsmith tools to pursue other interests.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I had no problem at all finding the quill update and other items cited in their history.

What I am having trouble isolating is the text citation where the term "V-B" appears in Shopsmith history on their website.

Where does that reference originate?

Everett
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have a copy of a Spare Parts List done by Shopsmith Inc. that includes changes made to the Mark V over the years to guide the user to the correct current parts that are needed to replace older parts. It is plastic bound and starts with 10 pages of parts lists with some hand written notes on the printed and typed pages dating as late as 1990. This is the most interesting section historically. Next it includes the Mark V Models 500 and 510 Maintenance and Troubleshooting Manual section pages E-1 to E-34 followed by 55 pages of How to do different individual replacements and repairs. Of interest here, on page 6 in the paragraph about the change from the Gilmer to Poly "V" drive. It reads as follows -

11. During the changeover from the gilmer drive to the poly "V" drive (see item #1), they provided a special quill. These units are identified with the letter "C" after the serial number. If a replacement quill is required and your serial number has this designation, please contact us direct for instructions.

Apparently there is something different about the drive sleeve and/or the spindle in the quill for these first poly "V" units

I have not seen a Mark 5 with a "C" after the serial number, has anyone seen it?
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The term Mark V-B is not from the history, it is the model on the vent/serial number plate. Kind of like going from the 4" Jointer Model 620 to 620-C in the late 1950's. I have not seen any reference to what is was a designation for.
Russ

Mark V 520
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

That's why I could not find it where I was looking. Thanks!

Here is a thread post discussing the fact that folks had been talking about theirs - http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 13#p111213

Titled - What else .... "Mark V-B" posted 21 Feb 2012....

Interesting Shopsmith Forum Search results.... I searched for exactly the name of the thread 'Mark V-B' You guessed it, Shopsmith Forum Search found 2,012 pages of matches, none of which was the thread itself.

Why? They chose to ignore v and b (see screen shot)

Everett
Mark V-B.png
Mark V-B.png (61.8 KiB) Viewed 8419 times
Last edited by everettdavis on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I also found that Ed wrote in post http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 55#p111255 relative to that V-B vent plate discusssion:

"I have 3 machines I can look at, so if this data is helpful in find what machines do NOT have a "B"

1976 plate says MARK 5 and uses Vandaila OH as the location
1980 plate says MARK V and uses Vandaila OH as the location
1991 plate says MARK V and uses Dayton OH as the location

The tool history has a serial number 190000 as the beginning of the 2-bearing quill, as of 10/1984. That is close to your date.

Ed"

That date range certainly takes my thought of Mark V-C coinciding with the C headstock out of the discussion.

This was in discussion relative to SS 194497 which was a Mark V-B owned by Culprit posted 21 Feb 2012.

Everett
Shopsmith_1984_serial SS 194497  Mark V-B owned by Culprit.JPG
Shopsmith_1984_serial SS 194497 Mark V-B owned by Culprit.JPG (121.74 KiB) Viewed 8419 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

It was still in use on SS 197064 - Early 1985 -

Everett
Shopsmith model and serial SS 197064 Mark V-B.jpg
Shopsmith model and serial SS 197064 Mark V-B.jpg (83.53 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Looking through the pictures I have of Mark V/5 Vent/Serial Number Plates some things become evident. The Serial Number/Model Number stickers started with date coding. The stickers were moved away from the vent plate about 2002 to the side of the belt cover below the warning sticker. On machines with the sticker above the vent plate, adding the Hub guard will cover it. The Mark V-B designation appears to have ended with the introduction of the 510/505 Table system and calling the original the 500. The stickers include a number of different 6 digit Model Numbers (like 555861 - mine) and have different names above the Model and Serial Number lines. They include (for the ones I have pictures of),

MARK V
MARK V 510
Mark 510
MARK V 520 MODEL
MARK V 520 STATIC DISPLAY
MKV BASE UNIT
SOS Display Unit
STATIC DISPLAY UNIT
HEADSTOCK (SVC)
50TH ANNIVERSARY MKV - this is what is on mine date code 09-11-01

The picture below is a -B model number, don't know why.
Attachments
070589 Mark V Escondido CA_c.jpg
070589 Mark V Escondido CA_c.jpg (167.85 KiB) Viewed 8393 times
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I mentioned before the Spare Parts List booklet from Shopsmith and attached is the front page for reference.
Attachments
spare parts list plus.jpg
spare parts list plus.jpg (107.95 KiB) Viewed 8346 times
Russ

Mark V 520