Bandsaw Spindle Alignment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw Spindle Alignment

Post by JPG »

As often happens here we are fish tailing between two different scenarios and confusing the relevance to each.

IF one has the newer eccentric mounting tubes, the current instruction apply which use the eccentrics to achieve shaft alignment. I recommend positioning the eccentrics so the SPT is positioned further away from the headstock.

IF one has the older straight mounting tubes the older instructions apply which include twisting the base/legs after loosening the two screws securing the bench tubes.

I do not recommend using the base rest set screw for anything other than to align the way tubes parallel to the bench tubes.(eliminate twist of the way tubes from end to end)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Has anyone noticed that four days have gone by since the original post (the OPs one and only post) and there has been no reply from the OP.

Are we trying to assist a fellow user or are we responding to some form of SCAMMING?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

dusty wrote:Has anyone noticed that four days have gone by since the original post (the OPs one and only post) and there has been no reply from the OP.

Are we trying to assist a fellow user or are we responding to some form of SCAMMING?
Nah, not even close to a scam. His question was very specific to Shopsmith and he posted photos of the issue he was having.

Maybe he just hasn't checked his computer. Maybe he is working on the issue. Or maybe he was scared off by some of the replies. :D
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Maybe he fixed his issue with the help he found here and is too busy making sawdust to reply. We can only hope.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

chapmanruss wrote:Maybe he fixed his issue with the help he found here and is too busy making sawdust to reply. We can only hope.
I do hope you are right.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Then again,'maybe' he is not accustomed to such speedy response.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
TheRevEd
Bronze Member

Post by TheRevEd »

I definitely came to the right place for an answer! Y'all have been very thorough and I truly appreciate all the input and information. I especially appreciate the scans/photos of manual documents.

I think I have the bandsaw aligned, but now that I see the references, I will take a much closer look.

Again, I am truly grateful for the help!
TheRevEd
Bronze Member

Post by TheRevEd »

reible wrote:FYI here is the official information on how to do the adjustment when you have the old legs:

IMG_20180123_0002.jpg

Ed
This is the one that solved my problem. Figure 5 shows a little set screw that adjusts the height and twist of the headstock. That was a little too proud, and therefore misaligning the two spindles.

Thanks everyone for the help!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

TheRevEd wrote:
reible wrote:FYI here is the official information on how to do the adjustment when you have the old legs:

IMG_20180123_0002.jpg

Ed
This is the one that solved my problem. Figure 5 shows a little set screw that adjusts the height and twist of the headstock. That was a little too proud, and therefore misaligning the two spindles.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Hopefully adjusting the 'twist' also aligned the headstock end to end. If you do not check for it you probably will not notice. Just do not expect to be able to mount an aux table on either end and it not require realigning for using the rip fence etc..(long story!!)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

I read through this which is the exact problem I have. Unfortunately MG_20180123_0002.jpg is not there. So, what is the solution?