10ER rebuild

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

badtheba
Gold Member

Re: 10ER rebuild

Post by badtheba »

I got the painted bench legs home and couldn't bear to move everything to the garage for reassembly. I'm sure I'll pay for this with the wife, but since everything is clean for the time being I shouldn't get in too much trouble.

My next step is to take a bit of the weight back off and reinstall the leg braces. I forgot to purchase new hardware for these. Didn't want to reuse the square head bolts. :p
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (122.97 KiB) Viewed 10141 times
image002.jpg
image002.jpg (156.8 KiB) Viewed 10141 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Looking VERY good!!!!

BTW what do you have against square headed bolts?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
badtheba
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: 10ER rebuild

Post by badtheba »

JPG wrote:Looking VERY good!!!!

Nothing against them, just that my 6 point sockets don't fit them. And the 12 point sockets or box wrenches that fit them I have to guess on size. Open end wrenches are too slow.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

badtheba wrote:

Nothing against them, just that my 6 point sockets don't fit them. And the 12 point sockets or box wrenches that fit them I have to guess on size. Open end wrenches are too slow.

You have something against 8 point sockets? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
badtheba
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 10ER rebuild

Post by badtheba »

JPG wrote:
badtheba wrote:

Lol. I don't own any so I can't say as I have anything against them.

However, one factor in replacing a lot of the bench nuts and bolts is that my wife works at a hardware store. I've switched to stainless at employee cost.

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 10ER rebuild

Post by JPG »

badtheba wrote:
JPG wrote:
badtheba wrote:Nothing against them, just that my 6 point sockets don't fit them. And the 12 point sockets or box wrenches that fit them I have to guess on size. Open end wrenches are too slow.

However, one factor in replacing a lot of the bench nuts and bolts is that my wife works at a hardware store. I've switched to stainless at employee cost.

Oh so she understands NUTS! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

badtheba
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 10ER rebuild

Post by badtheba »

JPG wrote:
badtheba wrote:
JPG wrote:

Oh so she understands NUTS! :D
Well, she married me, and she'd probably say I was nutty.

As far as hardware goes, she's just like her mother who works at Lowe's. They can help you find anything in their stores as long as it's not plumbing or electrical.

badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

On the original jointer blade guard, does the knob unscrew from the hex shaped pin? Or is there another way to disassemble and get to the spring? Mine's not coiling or returning so well.

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

When you rotate the knob CW, does the torsion spring provide increasing tension?

Once tension is established, THEN you insert the hex into the hole in the bed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

JPG wrote:When you rotate the knob CW, does the torsion spring provide increasing tension?

Once tension is established, THEN you insert the hex into the hole in the bed.
Yes the tension increases. It also swings back toward the fence when I swing it away. However, the only way I can describe it is "rough". It does not have smooth or consistent spring tension, which is why I wanted to disassemble it if possible. I am painting it tonight, so after that dries maybe I'll just spray in some penetrating oil.