10ER rebuild

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

badtheba
Gold Member

Re: 10ER rebuild

Post by badtheba »

Oh, and from the 4E manual exploded diagram, the hex stud that the jointer guard rotates on does not look threaded like that photo of a disassembled one shows. I do not believe mine is threaded. I put the hex in a vise and carefully closed a vise grip with a rag on the knob. I spun it a few times and it did not back of. I just left it and sprayed in penetrating oil like we discussed and it freed up the spring, so I'm leaving it alone for now. Will be getting the upgrade guard before final assembly anyway.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

Somewhere near the beginning of my restoration I had noticed a tab was broken off the headstock under the quill return spring housing. Today I decided to do something about it, as I was uncomfortable relying on just one tab, and in horizontal mode I was getting rather large wood chips settling on top of the spring because of the void.

I marked it out and drilled a hole in the headstock, then used a 6-32 tapered tap then a bottoming tap to get about 14 threads without drilling through into the quill area. I then machined a small block out of aluminum stock and screwed it in with a stainless machine screw. I'm happy with the results and presume a lot less junk will get in the spring housing now. I might be the only one in the world that needed this fix, it doesn't seem like a common break.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I like thy thought processes! :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

2021 update on the status of this ER. Being derusted and restored with new paint, this one has never made it out to my shed or garage. I have used it in the basement as a lathe, sander, drill press, and a few other functions. However we've since finished over 90% of our basement, and creating dust indoors is hopefully a thing of the past. I have it in a utility room that I hope to seal up some day and use dust collection in, where we can go to make crafts and gifts and do simple cuts. But my other 10ERs that followed this first one definitely see a ton more usage out in the shed. But with cold weather upon us, and the shed being drafty and allowing snow in, I want to be able to make some ornaments indoors before Christmas. So I've just about completed my DC conversion on this one. Should be pumping out a few snowmen next week.
IMG_20211206_204818334.jpg
IMG_20211206_204818334.jpg (269.02 KiB) Viewed 756 times