deleting threads

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jbillups
Gold Member

deleting threads

Post by jbillups »

I did not see a rule stating that "for sale" threads are not allowed. So what is up with the deleted thread? You don't want to allow your users to purchased used parts at a good deal? Thats fine. But there are more professional ways to do things. Perhaphs a heads up that you dont want those types of post, instead of just deleting them like a coward.

I'm sure this will get my account deleted, but I don't care. I had thought about buying anothe SS someday but the company antics have just sealed the deal. I will never do business your company.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

jbillups wrote:I did not see a rule stating that "for sale" threads are not allowed. So what is up with the deleted thread? You don't want to allow your users to purchased used parts at a good deal? Thats fine. But there are more professional ways to do things. Perhaphs a heads up that you dont want those types of post, instead of just deleting them like a coward.

I'm sure this will get my account deleted, but I don't care. I had thought about buying anothe SS someday but the company antics have just sealed the deal. I will never do business your company.
Relax a little..... It's their house. Do as they wish. You know the old saying "You get what you pay for" How much did you pay to post???
jbillups
Gold Member

Post by jbillups »

Is the point of having a public forum to censor it? One person had wished me the best and a kind fairwell to the SS, and I explained why I liked a traditional shop. It could have lead to a very interesting thread. If I would have been told that they do not want items for sale listed, the first part of the thread could have been edited and the rest could have contiuned.

so with that said. I still feel the same way
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Common sense might lead one to assume that a company that is in business to sell parts would not want to advertise those same parts for sale by someone else.
jbillups
Gold Member

Post by jbillups »

Well I figured a company might like a tool of theirs with early production serial numbers to stay in rotation. If it was my company I would. If the right person where to invest in it, they would be giving SS alot of money. Plus, the $50 or what ever I was asking for was just to try and recop a the gas money I spent to go get it. But thats alright.

I guess I just don't get the SS way ;)
dusty
Platinum Member

Forum User's Participation Agreement

Post by dusty »

This is one of those items that I know exists on the forum but is not located where it is real easy to find when you need to reread it. I know that it is (was) there because I have had it fed back to me before.

Each of us was to have read and agreed to certain policies with regard to the use of the forum. One of those policies was that the forum would not be used by the members for commercials purposes.

This thread indicates that some of us either never read that policy, disregarded what we read, or didn't understand that according to the policy we could not post shop items for sale on the forum.

Yes, you were told - this is not some sort of censorship - it is the rules. Like it or not, Shopsmith is playing by the rules that they set for participation in the forum.

P.S. This is an after thought for Shopsmith to consider. How about adding the "agreement" to the "Quick Links" that are available now.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

jbillups wrote:Is the point of having a public forum to censor it?
In this case, yes. And I'm thankful for it. I don't have to wade through the detrus of implant offers, and russian girls who are dying to meet me, pharmacuticals at remarkable prices and offers from Nigerian kings who just escaped and need to hold their treasure chests for them.

It's a public forum. Anyone can post. There are rules. Follow them to post, publicly.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I must have missed something :eek:
What got deleted? When? Where?

I take it Jbillups decided to ditch his SS and wanted $50 so he offered it in a thread, is that about right? At the current prices of scrap steel he probably would be better to recycle it.

As for SS deleting it, I think we all had to read and agree to forum rules upon registration. One of those said we wouldn't do commercial endeavors on the forum. So I don't think anything was censored it was simply removed according to the prevailing rules.
Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

jbillups wrote:...I explained why I liked a traditional shop. It could have lead to a very interesting thread. ....
Jbillups perhaps you should start a thread along this idea.
I agree it could be a very interesting thread. I think there are good and bad points and considerations on both sides of the issue and often when we discuss what we think are huge plus points, many times we find out that others consider them to be minus points and vice versa. Also new ideas often evolve out of these types of topics.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Jbillups sorry you are not interested in shopsmith but bashing them on there own site isn't the way to go. There are plenty of other woodworking sites that do quite a job at that already. Most of us here enjoy using our shopsmith equipment and are using this forum for education and comadery.:)
Shopsmith is a great tool and I personaly enjoy using it and finding out how to make jigs and other short cuts to build fine furniture or nice firewood. By the way don't just scrap the ss put it on craigslist or something just don't kill it.:eek: