LEG ASSEMBLY PROBLEM

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodmeister
Gold Member

LEG ASSEMBLY PROBLEM

Post by woodmeister »

I have noticed a few times I put the legs back on the stand with retractable casters the wheels do not go down far enough. This makes it where the legs drag some. I don't think it is in the assembly of casters to leg because there is little play, I am wondering if I am failing to get the tubes misaligned or something else. Can I possibly be tipping the legs in some fashion? Anyone have this problem at anytime?
Thanks,
Tom
rcoder
Gold Member

Re: LEG ASSEMBLY PROBLEM

Post by rcoder »

I had the same problem after an upgrade on my 510. I ended up putting a flatwasher over the stem and reinstalling. No more drag.

Bob
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

Stem? your talking about the round piece that goes inside the spring? I will put a washer on top of it and reinstall.
Thank you
Tom
rcoder
Gold Member

Post by rcoder »

I removed the casters and put a washer over the stem that goes up into the lift mechanism. This raised the SS approx. 1/16 inch. Just enough to clear the floor. I suspect my concrete floor is not perfectly level thus the dragging.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Anyone else not have a clue what they are talking about? :confused: :confused: :confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Nope. There seems to be a problem with the caster assembly.

he casters do not extend far enough to lift the legs off the floor.
Last edited by dusty on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

This may help clarify what we are talking about. I take off the retractable casters when painting my shop smiths and or repair the casters. When I put them back including the tubes going into the legs the casters do not seem to raise the shop smith high enough to be able to roll it. His solution is to put a washer onto the top of stem in casters, The stem being the part that retains the spring. At the top of stem where it contacts the cam he puts a washer onto it and it brings the leg of shop smith higher by thickness of washer. Easy fix!
rcoder
Gold Member

Post by rcoder »

Bingo, you described my fix very well. I should also add that it takes two rotations of the foot lever to get the SS off the floor. Sometimes I forget. Surely no one else does that.

Bob in Green Valley
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rcoder wrote:Bingo, you described my fix very well. I should also add that it takes two rotations of the foot lever to get the SS off the floor. Sometimes I forget. Surely no one else does that.

Bob in Green Valley
Bob in Green Valley - have you hooked up with shipwright in Green Valley
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you had a working distance before then took off the casters to paint the legs then put them back on to find they are now not working says something is wrong.

The steps should be flat on the floor then one step should give you somewhere near 1/4" and the second step near 1/2" off the floor. As the casters wear this distance will get less. When I say somewhere near those dimensions it could well be an 1/8" less in each case to start with so a bit of wheel wear....

What I have to wonder is did you pull the tubes out during the process?

Anyway I've got to run and vote but I do believe you have something wrong just because of the working then not working doesn't make since if painting was the only thing that happened.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]