Adding a new Incra fence

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DSS
Silver Member

Re: Adding a new Incra fence

Post by DSS »

Paul,
In some other posts that show your shop, I didn’t notice the shopsmith with incra rails anymore. Your posts in this thread from last year were inspiring to me as a new owner and forum member. I have installed the rails I have on the main table and the right extension table with legs and regardless of how close I move the main table to the extension or adjust the rails side to side, I have an extremely difficult time raising the contraption as I call it now. You mentioned you had good luck and so I am inquiring as to the tricks of the trade, especially with the attached outfeed table you show.
Thanks in advance.
Dan
DSS ‘Dan’s ShopSmith’
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I can not speak for Dan but I DO NOT even attempt to raise or lower my Main Table with the Extension Table attached. I do. however, raise and lower the Main Table with my Outfeed Table and/or Sliding Cross Cut Table mounted.

I made a pair of wooden couplers for the Table Tubes to join (between the Main Table and the Extension Table). Thia allows me to disengage the Extension Table from the Main Table without pulling the tubes all the way out of the rails.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DSS
Silver Member

Post by DSS »

Dusty,
Thanks for the reply. Lightbulb as you mention that because even with the 520 rails and connecting tubes, I would try to raise the table and one hand would assist the extension. I like your idea of couplers. If I recall my research, the Jointech Sawtrain rails were all separate like the 520 and used the connecting tube, but I probably am imagining it as I haven’t seen it in person.
Still can’t figure a good way to use the incra rails as it now renders the weakest part of the tool, the table saw to a single saw blade height without a lot of change up and of course, a lack of bevel. I thought I was all in with the Shopsmith and the tablesaw when I got the incra rails, but now having severe angst and second thoughts.
I had thought I could use the incra rails like the BT3000/3100 folks use their rails, but alas, no go, or at least not as easy as I had hoped.
Would love to see a picture of the wood coupler set up.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Dan
DSS (Dan’s ShopSmith)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Not my best photo shots but these should give you an idea of what I did. I find that this simple solution works well for me. I normally do not tie the rear (outfeed side) end of the table together but this could be used there too.

I am having a pair of these, 8" long being made using aluminum bar stock.
20180915_084140.jpg
20180915_084140.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 31036 times
20180915_084208.jpg
20180915_084208.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 31036 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Sorry I haven’t been on for a few days. Had a pretty bad car accident but improving daily. I still have the Incra rail system on that SS and it continues to function well. As far as raising and lowering I do leave it all attached and raise it and lower it using the spacers. If leaving it all connected when raising or lowering is an issue disconnecting the extension table is about as quick as disconnecting and reconnecting the SS tube system. The repeatability upon reassembly is perfect. I like the setup very much and it is my go to saw for a lot of functions. I now have the Incra system on both saws and the router table and am very satisfied with the results. Having the absolute repeatability on the fence is a game changer for so many operations. The Wonder Fence system for the router table turns dovetailing into a quick and very accurate setup and the dovetailed drawers are so much faster than the old dovetail jig system.
Paul
DSS
Silver Member

Post by DSS »

Thank you both for your response. Get better soon from your accident Paul. Thanks for the photos Dusty.
Cheers,
Dan
DSS 'Dan's ShopSmith'
Smitho
Bronze Member

Post by Smitho »

impressive!
mmcdonough
Gold Member

Post by mmcdonough »

Paul, a few questions. What size bolts did you use to mount the rail system to the tables, did you use the same holes that are in the tables for the tubes, and what was the thickness and the width of the aluminum bar. Also, I saw you had some wooden shims ties to the tables what are they for. BTW hope you are recovering from your accident. Thanks; Mike
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I used 1/4” bolts and aluminum spacer plates to mount the rails with oversized washers on the back. You will also need 8 more of the right angle mounting brackets from Incra. The aluminum spacers are from 1 1/4” flat stock I bought at HD. The wooden blocks are spacers I have used for years. I use them in conjunction with the stop collars to raise and lower the main table and the aux tables in unison at 1/4”, 1/2”, and 3/4” intervals. It is much faster than lowering the main table to a random place and then realigning the aux table. Order a few extra of the right angle brackets from Incra. I also have a router table that can be dropped in between the main and aux tables. This allows the use of the Incra wonder fence also which I highly recommend. Everything combined it adds a whole new dimension to the SS.
Paul
Attachments
9CCCF356-70E7-48B0-970A-A794D0985270.jpeg
9CCCF356-70E7-48B0-970A-A794D0985270.jpeg (194.14 KiB) Viewed 30475 times
67F08EA3-38EB-44B7-8364-C58E118A3955.jpeg
67F08EA3-38EB-44B7-8364-C58E118A3955.jpeg (165.91 KiB) Viewed 30475 times
7629FF09-45AB-49C5-A1E3-4894DF2939DA.jpeg
7629FF09-45AB-49C5-A1E3-4894DF2939DA.jpeg (167.32 KiB) Viewed 30475 times
GEG
Bronze Member

Post by GEG »

Paul,
A couple of questions:
1. Did you drill out threaded holes in the tables in order to use 1/4" bolts to attach the new rails?
2. Do you use the extra carriage you have on the way tubes to help change the table system height?

You have inspired me to take my Jointech system out of the boxes after about 15 years storage.