Adding a new Incra fence

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sehast
Gold Member

Re: Adding a new Incra fence

Post by sehast »

Great idea and work Paul. Is alignment to the saw blade maintained when re-installing the rails to the main table? What kind of repeatable tolerance can be expected?
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I have broken it down twice just to see how accurate the reassembly would be and it was right on the money upon reassembly. As long as the brackets remain solid and in place there should not be an issue.
Paul
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I wish I had seen this before I did a 520 upgrade last year. Looks like it is better and less expensive. The standard steel tubes just don't have very good straightness tolerances and flex too much. When the fence is mounted on the extension table or floating table I can get errors of up to 10 to 20 thousandths. I am looking at replacing the standard tubes with TGP precision solid steel round bars. Kind of pricey at $100 for two 48" bars but cheaper than starting over with the Incra system.
cooch366
Gold Member

Post by cooch366 »

THANKS for the update Paul.

Please let us know how you make out (pictures?) so we can see it with the router table.

Again, really nice setup and thanks for sharing it....

Steve
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

Wow I really like this setup. I have been wanting to purchase an Incra fence that I would be able to use on a Shopsmith and then later to be able to use it on a regular stand alone table saw. I think this is the way I'll be going.
Thanks for sharing.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I finished the installation of all three Incra fences and the PP upgrade. All came out pretty well. The spacial arranging of everything became a challenge. The one and only drawback I see so far is that the Incra fences require a lot more room that the SS fence systems. I made it work but it was interesting to say the least. Fortunately the SS is a couple of inches higher than the saw and router table which allowed the SS to pass over the router table setup. It all works with full function but it was tight. As far as the fences themselves they live up to the Incra reputation. Very tight tolerances and repeatability. I haven't really had a chance to use any of them extensively and that includes the PP but at this point pleased.
Paul
Attachments
IMG_4086.JPG
IMG_4086.JPG (221.56 KiB) Viewed 64420 times
IMG_4087.JPG
IMG_4087.JPG (240.84 KiB) Viewed 64420 times
IMG_4088.JPG
IMG_4088.JPG (239.08 KiB) Viewed 64420 times
IMG_4089.JPG
IMG_4089.JPG (222.5 KiB) Viewed 64420 times
IMG_4090.JPG
IMG_4090.JPG (240.45 KiB) Viewed 64420 times
IMG_4091.JPG
IMG_4091.JPG (195.33 KiB) Viewed 64420 times
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Very impressive!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I added a runoff table to the SS with the Incra fence today which completes the installations which is a good thing since the boss came into the shop today and announced " times up ", which means quit messing with the machinery and start making something. They delivered 100 bd ft of mahogany yesterday so now she is raring to get going. Interesting she also got 1 bd ft of ebony for accent on a table that is in the pipeline. That stuff is crazy expensive. I have had a stash I have had for 25 years and finally chipped it away to nothing. Very weird how certain woods have become so valuable. Suddenly $25.00 a bd ft is the norm for tropical hardwoods. Ebony is now off the scale. Unfortunately it is still the only really black wood out there. Should have bought a warehouse full back in the 79's or 80's.
Paul
Attachments
IMG_4107.JPG
IMG_4107.JPG (221.18 KiB) Viewed 64378 times
IMG_4108.JPG
IMG_4108.JPG (176.07 KiB) Viewed 64378 times
IMG_4109.JPG
IMG_4109.JPG (214.2 KiB) Viewed 64378 times
Dccarpenter
Gold Member

Post by Dccarpenter »

Thanks for posting the good photos. I've had my eye on the Incra stuff for awhile and you give me some good ideas for incorporating it into my setup.
theorourke
Bronze Member

Post by theorourke »

Outstanding setup, Paul. I just upgraded my 500 to 520 and ordered the Incra fence system today (on sale until Sunday night). I just had an email from Woodcraft that they had a one day sale on Ebony. Did not pay attention to the price, might not be any special deal but ... I am looking forward to installing the fence system when it arrives Your pictures should help a lot with the installation.
Thanks, Kevin O'Rourke