Mark V Dust Collection - Is There a Better Way??

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Re: Mark V Dust Collection - Is There a Better Way??

Post by Gene Howe »

Thanks, JPG. Once Dusty posted, I knew what it was.
Some of the off the wall stuff woodworkers do to accomplish tasks, are totally amazing. I wouldn't have ever thought to use that fencing part.... or part of a shower head ...to make an extension table.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Here is how this ended (for the time being). I have real work to do in the RV. It is scheduled for a road trip within months.
Dust Collector r4 008.jpg
Dust Collector r4 008.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 14072 times
Dust Collector r4 009.jpg
Dust Collector r4 009.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 14072 times
Dust Collector r4 010.jpg
Dust Collector r4 010.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 14072 times
In the last picture, this is what happens to the flexible hose when the carriage and headstock are brought together into the saw mode.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Did the elbow at the dust chute disappear in this version?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:Did the elbow at the dust chute disappear in this version?
The elbow, as seen in this last shot, will disappear but only if you help it to do so. The flexible hose is quite stiff and once straight it tends to stay that way. Just a little bit of pressure, at the elbow, and it straightens right out.

In normal operation, for me, it is seldom that the carriage and headstock will be far apart. I did this just to ascertain that the hose would expand far enough. I am not sure that I could move the carriage to its extreme in the opposite direction but I don't believe I would be likely to do that anyhow.

Now I have to get to work making sawdust and see if it really works.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
rudy49
Silver Member

Post by rudy49 »

I know this thread is about improving dust collection but your floating out-feed table is what has my attention. This would solve so many problems.

Do you have any specs you can, and are willing, to share. Are the hook brackets off the shelf somewhere or did you fashion them yourself? How long is the rod? How much elevation is there between the bracket and the top of the table?

I know I could figure all of this out myself but I would really appreciate any information you can share.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rudy49 wrote:I know this thread is about improving dust collection but your floating out-feed table is what has my attention. This would solve so many problems.

Do you have any specs you can, and are willing, to share. Are the hook brackets off the shelf somewhere or did you fashion them yourself? How long is the rod? How much elevation is there between the bracket and the top of the table?

I know I could figure all of this out myself but I would really appreciate any information you can share.
The 'hook' brackets are from the mother ship.

Dusty has (a) lengthy thread(S) describing the development of that table.

The unique feature of it is that it tracks tilting of the table.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rudy49 wrote:I know this thread is about improving dust collection but your floating out-feed table is what has my attention. This would solve so many problems.

The two links that I post here should put you in the area where most of the information is located. If you need more information, please initiate a different thread on that subject. I am willing to share all of my experiences regarding the tilting outfeed table. Building mine and making it work was quite a trip.

It is critical to understand cut line, center of rotation line (of the table) and location of support points.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... ble#p13253

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... le#p211444
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

This is a great topic for me because I struggle with the hose connection and dust produced by the saw. I had 2 thoughts:
first one was that maybe a shop vac or SS dust collector isn't sufficient, and a stronger suction source is needed. I also remember something on the Bill Pentz site that showed a revised upper blade guard with dust collection as part of it, so if you had a 4" or 6" line, you could split it down to collect both above and below the table.
The second thought was in regards to the existing collection port - what if the original was capped, and relocated using an aftermarket port (something like this)? I haven't tried it, so not sure if the location change would affect the dust collection
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

Sorry, new user - can't figure out how to upload the pic :(
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

What the pic showed was a 2 1/2" aftermarket dust port attached to the bottom of the lower guard - this would allow collection from directly below without interfering with the table. You could cap the existing with a plastic cap or duct tape I guess.
Ed