The Continuing Adventures of A Slow Boat to Nowhere

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: The Continuing Adventures of A Slow Boat to Nowhere

Post by algale »

The Slow Boat To Nowhere was out this weekend on the Paw Paw Bends section of the Potomac River, which is a 21 mile stretch of dramatic S curves between Paw Paw, WV and Little Orleans, MD. At normal water levels (3-5 feet) the river is rated A-1, but we were at 7-plus feet and we definitely hit a few decent rapids, maybe up to class two.

The canoe was flying, covering the first 8 miles to our campsite in 2 hours with very little paddling needed! We covered the last 13 miles in a little over 3 hours, again not breaking a sweat!

It was my and my bow man's first river trip and while we did pretty well with the white water, we did make two mistakes. We hit a submerged boulder head on the first day. It made an awful sound and I was sure there was going to be splits if not a hole in the canoe. Amazingly, the only damage were some superfcicial but long scrapes that did not go through to the wood and maybe just barely into the glass.

The second day we did something similar, although that one we took almost broad side going over a ledge. Again, it sounded catastrophic but nothing but some scrapes, none of which was very deep and none into the wood. We didn't even capsize (although that again is a testament to how stable the loaded canoe was and not to our river skills!

Here's what the bottom looked like. Most of the white is glare.
IMG_4366.JPG
IMG_4366.JPG (432.32 KiB) Viewed 28087 times
IMG_4368.JPG
IMG_4368.JPG (278.87 KiB) Viewed 28087 times
IMG_4369.JPG
IMG_4369.JPG (286.14 KiB) Viewed 28087 times
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

An impressive testament to the design and construction of the Slow Boat!

Gotta run now -- I just got the urge to go off-roading in my new Maserati convertible. :eek: :rolleyes: :D
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:An impressive testament to the design and construction of the Slow Boat!

Gotta run now -- I just got the urge to go off-roading in my new Maserati convertible. :eek: :rolleyes: :D
LOL!!

You know what the designer of this canoe (Gil Gilpatrick) said when I told him this story? He wrote: "Good to hear you put the canoe to good use. Too many are afraid to use them for fear of scratches or whatever, I guess. They are made to use!!!"

I agree with Gil. Making it was fun. But using it is even better!

EDIT here it is fully loaded.
IMG_3624.jpeg
IMG_3624.jpeg (121.43 KiB) Viewed 28055 times
And at the take out.
IMG_3639.jpeg
IMG_3639.jpeg (114.79 KiB) Viewed 28055 times
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Got a little video of a Great Blue Heron today on Seneca Lake.

IMG_4637.JPG
IMG_4637.JPG (287.54 KiB) Viewed 27859 times

moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

:) :) :) That's awsome.
Paul B
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Your slow boat has been an amazing project and now to see it in action makes it even better. It looks like you built it to last.
Paul
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

That's some beautiful still water for canoeing. No power boats allowed, I suspect?
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:That's some beautiful still water for canoeing. No power boats allowed, I suspect?
They do allow electric motors and it can get crowded. I got lucky yesterday. Most of the guys fishing were in kayaks and the guys with the electric motors seemed to be staying in their spots. So the water was really still.

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

masonsailor2 wrote:Your slow boat has been an amazing project and now to see it in action makes it even better. It looks like you built it to last.
Paul
Building and using have been life-changing experiences for me!

Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Beautiful looking canoe. Beauty and function combined.