Greenie Information

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Malpratice
Bronze Member

Re: Greenie Information

Post by Malpratice »

Russ, your the Man! I can live with 62.5-63. I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them. It's in pieces already. Can't remember if I took 1 when I got it home or not. I tested a hammer paint technique I found. Spray wet paint with silicone lube(like WD). It looked good last night but it was to wet to touch.
I have "restored" several pieces of equipment. And apparently I paint everything Royal Blue with yellow highlights. It's actually an inside joke among family and friends. "He does great work if you like bright blue" has been said in my presents. Lol.
Very nice job on yours! Looks like New! How did you clean the oxidation spots off the aluminum? Wire brush is what's working for me. I bought a fiber "brush" attachment for my drill but haven't had time to try it.
When I ran it some, to use the jointer it seemed the headstock attachment drive shaft got really warm. I could touch it but not sure I was going to hold on for very long. I did read some of the threads on that. Requesting your opinion. Just go ahead and put new bearings and belts in it all now? I really enjoy working on my machines just not all the time!
Ok I think I've bent ears long enough!
Thanks again!
As soon as I can figure out how to get my photo small enough, then find the -#-$(&) thing, I'll post some! Good God chewing through a nail would be easier!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Download "irfanview", a free program. It can resize as well as many other useful things.

Then all you need to overcome is the convoluted forum procedure for attaching pix.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Irenna303
Bronze Member

I am a new ;)

Post by Irenna303 »

Thanks
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

If you are using a computer, resizing photos is easy. All the operating systems already have software included to do it.
If you are trying to resize with a phone or tablet, good luck. They are still decades behind a computer in getting any real job done.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Cleaning the oxidation spots off the aluminum varies on how bad it is. Most are done using a fine wire wheel mounted on a universal arbor. I use my Mark V 520/7 for a lot of my restoration work. I use a buffing wheel to polish the parts to a shinny finish. Tables can be a challenge due to their size. Using a wire wheel on the 510/520/M7 tables would remove the paint in the grooves so a different method like very very fine sanding on the surface would be better.

I have had to replace one main table from an 82 Mark V because it was too damaged when I purchased it. I was able to get a reasonably priced replacement for it that was in good shape.
IMG_0040r.jpg
IMG_0040r.jpg (184.23 KiB) Viewed 9076 times
A good example of how not to use the Drill Press function. Always give the drill bit somewhere to go besides through the table or insert. Note the replacement table looks much better than the original.
IMG_0101r.jpg
IMG_0101r.jpg (133.92 KiB) Viewed 9076 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Malpratice
Bronze Member

Post by Malpratice »

$150 Shopsmith Before I touched it!
14510.jpeg (79.63 KiB) Viewed 9067 times
Very nice Russ. I was/am having phone issues. It wouldn't download pictures from email. The mountain has been climbed! Here she is as I bought it. I've already primed the belt cover. I'm about to tear down the quill to see if it's 1 or 2 bearings. Then order the proper kit from Jacob.
14510.jpeg (79.63 KiB) Viewed 9067 times
I had the headstock off and ran it through the speeds. On the higher speeds it had a reasonable vibration, I had to vice grips it down to hold it still. Normal?
I'm off for sanding and take a couple close ups just for you!
My close up picture does not meet some parameters! Ok then maybe next time!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Unless it has been upgraded the Quill will be a single bearing one. The Mark V Two Bearing Quill replaced the single bearing quill in headstocks with Serial number SS190000 and above in 1984. An easy way to tell on pre 1964 Mark 5's is they do not have the black protective coating on the quill parts or other parts for that matter.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:Unless it has been upgraded the Quill will be a single bearing one. The Mark V Two Bearing Quill replaced the single bearing quill in headstocks with Serial number SS190000 and above in 1984. An easy way to tell on pre 1964 Mark 5's is they do not have the black protective coating on the quill parts or other parts for that matter.
BLOX is necessary, but NOT sufficient to identify a two bearing quill from SS.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG is correct that the black oxide coating is not an indicator of a two bearing quill. All Quills for the Mark 5/V's made before September 1984 are single bearing quills unless they have been modified by someone. There are some of those out there and could have the coating or not. If your Mark 5 has the black coated Quill it was changed. The Mark 5 color was gray by the time the black coating was first used in 1964 on many of the bare metal parts and accessories. JPG will correct me if I am wrong on that. He bought his Goldie new and is a great resource on the history of these tools.

You had asked about putting in new bearings and belts. For a Mark 5 from the 60's it's not a bad idea especially if the belts look worn or are brittle. If the Drive Sleeve and Quill Assembly do not turn freely than replace the bearings. The same goes for the Idler Bearings. I also like to replace old power cords as they get brittle too. I replace the switch on many of the restorations I do but mostly on the Model 10's. Better to spend a little extra money now to avoid a short in a bad power cord or switch. If it is questionable replace it. Remember your Shopsmith is coming up on 60 years old soon and replacing some of the internal Headstock parts will give it renewed life for many years to come.
Russ

Mark V 520
Malpratice
Bronze Member

Post by Malpratice »

Thanks again Russ! Single bearing, no black coating on anything. Well... That's not really true... However the coating on the inside of the headstock was not factory.. that's true. I believe that I will give my serial less Goldie a birthday of 4/29/1963! I believe you and you(I only said your right!) Narrowed it down to Mid 62 (1-1/8 Smith motor) and mid 63 paint changed to gray, mine is not nor ever has been! Month and day are Gandson's year is SS.
Belts are in pretty good shape, I will replace them when I get my allowance renewal! All bearings can be heard, some felt when turning by hand, except motor, they seem to be OK. All of them arrived today for Amazon! Along with 9 in Allen wrenches for $2.00 each Woohoo! Stopped by Harbor freight and got the puller that was recommended here(fourm) somewhere with fantastic instructions. I have never changed motor bearings before so for now I'll live by my Grandfather's Creed " don't F-with it if it ain't F'd to begin with!". Jointer bearings as well!
Well Gentlemen I thank you 😊. Wisdom and advise are priceless, as long as they are received before the act! After that education is expensive!
Motor plate
Motor plate
14555.jpeg (266.11 KiB) Viewed 8964 times
Thanks again
Mal
Attachments
Rails before
Rails before
14558~3.jpeg (227.81 KiB) Viewed 8964 times