Cutting plywood

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Cutting plywood

Post by JPG »

Grumble Grumble Grumble

A shopsmith, any table saw, a hand held("Skilsaw")saw can be/are all circular saws.

Now I realize referring to a hand held circular saw as a "Skilsaw" is like referring to the refrigerator as a "frigidaire", referring to it as a mere circular saw is just not precise.

So what do we need to refer to it as?

No, hand saw will not do either! That to me is a flat bladed saw with a handle(of which there are many varieties).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roopurt5
Gold Member

Post by roopurt5 »

JPG wrote:Grumble Grumble Grumble

A shopsmith, any table saw, a hand held("Skilsaw")saw can be/are all circular saws.

Now I realize referring to a hand held circular saw as a "Skilsaw" is like referring to the refrigerator as a "frigidaire", referring to it as a mere circular saw is just not precise.

No, hand saw will not do either! That to me is a flat bladed saw with a handle(of which there are many varieties).
Hand-held-power-circular-saw?
Portable-manually-guided-electical-circular-sawing-device?
Motor-driven-circular-bladed-sawing-mechanism-with-operator-guidance?
:D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

roopurt5 wrote:

Hand-held-power-circular-saw?
Portable-manually-guided-electical-circular-sawing-device?
Motor-driven-circular-bladed-sawing-mechanism-with-operator-guidance?
:D
Touché!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't think so. Google "circular saw". This will show you what a circular saw is.

https://www.google.com/search?q=circula ... 8&oe=utf-8
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
IMG_1708scm.jpg
IMG_1708scm.jpg (511.87 KiB) Viewed 9941 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Skizzity
Gold Member

Post by Skizzity »

This is mine. Is it not a circular saw though?
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Skizzity wrote:This is mine. Is it not a circular saw though?
It is a worm drive(like the original skilsaw) :cool: .

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

So we have proved that marketing types go with less than exemplary use of terminology when identifying products for the masses.

Buzz words!

Maybe we should call it a buzz saw! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

davepk13
Gold Member

Post by davepk13 »

Thank you for the Kreg jig tip. Much simpler than risking balancing a 3/4 full sheet of plywood on my Shopsmith. I need to rip a full sheet into 4 inch strips. I then am going to cut a 45 degree edge on each strip, not sure if the Kreg jig can do that, but it would be much easier on the Shopsmith at that point.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

davepk13 wrote:Thank you for the Kreg jig tip. Much simpler than risking balancing a 3/4 full sheet of plywood on my Shopsmith. I need to rip a full sheet into 4 inch strips. I then am going to cut a 45 degree edge on each strip, not sure if the Kreg jig can do that, but it would be much easier on the Shopsmith at that point.
If you are going to cut to final dimension after making those 4" strips, all you need is a straight edge to make those strips. Only potential problem that a fancy guide provides is eliminating the saw wandering away from the guide(straight edge) and some degree(one edge only) of zero clearance for the blade as it exits the workpiece..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

I cut a lot of baltic birch plywood and I use my Mikita track saw for most of the cutting. if you are careful in layout I don't need to use the Shopsmith for most of the cuts. But I do have a couple of spare blades and rotate them frequently. Plus the Mikita has a scoring function. A good track saw is expensive but very valuable it you do a lot of plywood.