SS Speed

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

GeorgeM
Gold Member

SS Speed

Post by GeorgeM »

Hi

Perhaps this has been covered before, but here we go. I want to use forstner bits (could be up to clock size)and a fly cutter (circle cutter) but the lowest speed seems to be too fast. What have you folks done?

Thanks
GeorgeM
algale
Platinum Member

Re: SS Speed

Post by algale »

There is no good solution to using your Shopsmith to bore such large holes other than to purchase a speed reducer (or the PowerPro upgrade). As Dusty point out below, there are other non-Shopsmith solutions.
Last edited by algale on Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

GeorgeM wrote:Hi

Perhaps this has been covered before, but here we go. I want to use forstner bits (could be up to clock size)and a fly cutter (circle cutter) but the lowest speed seems to be too fast. What have you folks done?

Thanks
GeorgeM
The answer: I cut holes of that size using a hand held variable speed drill motor but then I do this for a very small number of holes. Therefore, I think there needs to be a return question. How many holes of this description are you going to be drilling?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
GeorgeM
Gold Member

Post by GeorgeM »

Well, at this time, I'm not sure. I'm also concerned about the lathe at 750 rpm. It looks like I may be hanging on to my old and small B&D drill press.

GeorgeM
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

750 RPM may be too fast for the lathe but will be OK for small items such as pens. Larger items like bowls will be OK with care provided that they are well balanced.
For the larger holes you could try to make the holes using the forstner bits in a piece of plywood about 1/4 inch thick and using the plywood as a template for a router with a bit that has a guide bearing.
If you use a large forstner bit for the hole in the project make sure that you clamp the work firmly to the table and then use a VERY slow feed rate when drilling.
GeorgeM
Gold Member

Post by GeorgeM »

wa2crk wrote:750 RPM may be too fast for the lathe but will be OK for small items such as pens. Larger items like bowls will be OK with care provided that they are well balanced.
For the larger holes you could try to make the holes using the forstner bits in a piece of plywood about 1/4 inch thick and using the plywood as a template for a router with a bit that has a guide bearing.
If you use a large forstner bit for the hole in the project make sure that you clamp the work firmly to the table and then use a VERY slow feed rate when drilling.

Thanks for your response

GeorgeM
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am inclined to create holes larger than an inch or two in diameter with a hand held jig/sabre saw. If the workpiece is small enough, the jig saw or scroll saw.

Yes 700 rpm is too fast for larger bits/cutters.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Does anyone have a speed chart for fostener bits? I've just been guessing. :(
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thank You for that!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange