Bandsaw Bearings

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw Bearings

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote:
r33tc0w wrote:Bearings: Pack of 10 for $8
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8 ... UTF8&psc=1

Got one extra of the items that didn't come in a pack. I think I got the right stuff, the nuts shown in that .pdf posted somewhere in this thread show only 1/8" - 3/16" thick and i believe the ones i got are 7/32" thick so hopefully this isn't a hindrance.

The cost was about the same as buying shopsmiths version and but piecing it together gives me backups. I'll give an update when i get all the pieces in and installed
Sounds like you might have extra on most of the pieces then. If so and you won't to defray some costs, let me know if you want to send me a set and I can pay you. Just send me a private message and we can coordinate. Thanks.
You need to get 'JAM' nuts(they are thinner).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:
r33tc0w wrote:Bearings: Pack of 10 for $8
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8 ... UTF8&psc=1

Got one extra of the items that didn't come in a pack. I think I got the right stuff, the nuts shown in that .pdf posted somewhere in this thread show only 1/8" - 3/16" thick and i believe the ones i got are 7/32" thick so hopefully this isn't a hindrance.

The cost was about the same as buying shopsmiths version and but piecing it together gives me backups. I'll give an update when i get all the pieces in and installed
Sounds like you might have extra on most of the pieces then. If so and you won't to defray some costs, let me know if you want to send me a set and I can pay you. Just send me a private message and we can coordinate. Thanks.
I did LDH's upgrade years ago. I don't remember having to buy anything extra except the small spacers/shims. They came in packs of 10 as I remember but were not that expensive. I still have them I think. I will send them to you if you want them.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
r33tc0w
Silver Member

Post by r33tc0w »

2-3 hrs later, got some cool guides in, the new bearings (think I did this right??). Waiting for the new tires to come in from polytech (think I ordered the right one??). BTW, dirt dobbers are lame... Then it's off to alignment. All uncharted waters over here - first bandsaw ever.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bJVmEtxGXMXyr59T6
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

I'm looking at the double bearing mod but I think I'll just change to 7mm bolts and tap the upper and lower holders to 7mmx1mm threads. If I'm going to grind the housing why spend all that money to shim a 1/4" bolt to fit a 7mm bearing? My local Ace has lots of 7mm hardware in the little white bins.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

In preparing for a trip to Ace for 7mm bolts I took the time to attempt to test fit two 627 bearings into the upper and lower guides using the factory 1/4" bolt with 7mm step.

After filing the upper and lower guide brackets to clear the double 627 bearing set-up I noticed everything spins freely and the seam between the two bearings is nicely line up in the middle right where the blade will track. I am going to run the double bearing set-up this way and see how it goes. I can always change over to 7mm bolts and thin shims between the guide bracket and the guide bearings if needed.

Not sure why I would need all the extra shimming and spacing that was all the rage 4-5 years ago.

If you're worried the double bearing on the factory bolt with 7mm step doesn't have enough support from the 7mm step, notice the factory set up for the accutrack double bearing uses the exact same length stepped bolt as the upper/lower bearing guides. When the factory stepped bolt is used on the upper/lower bearing guides those upper/lower double bearings have the same support as the accutrack bearing set-up.
Attachments
filed clearence for the double bearing
P1050411.JPG (150 KiB) Viewed 22327 times
right down the middle, spins freely
P1050412.JPG (151.5 KiB) Viewed 22327 times
P1050414.JPG (139 KiB) Viewed 22327 times
P1050415.JPG (138 KiB) Viewed 22327 times
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
r33tc0w
Silver Member

Post by r33tc0w »

Am I supposed to grind material away for the bearings to clear?
r33tc0w
Silver Member

Post by r33tc0w »

Do I have the auto track assembled correctly?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

You might want to look at this post:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... t8361.html

While it is about the cast iron table version a lot of the information is relevant to both versions. Also if you have the older versions there are a few other things you might want to do. I also show how to assemble the bears on the bolts, but keep in mind the spacers can vary as to where and how many etc.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
r33tc0w
Silver Member

Post by r33tc0w »

Ok cool, just found this reference as well:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=8542

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get my tires and blade on the wheels to see how everything shakes out
r33tc0w
Silver Member

Post by r33tc0w »

Tires are on. Got everything cleaned up and have the post arm bracket pulled to be drilled and tapped. Where exactly should a 3/8” blade ride on the wheels? Centered? Towards the back? How much should the blade be riding on the bearings?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/694twaGuFaWcDLrA7