Bandsaw Bearings

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A small 'point' of clarification.

The 'autotrack'(upper left) bearings control the positioning of the blade as it approaches the upper wheel.

The 'lower' guide bearing controls the positioning of the blade as it approaches the lower wheel. It also has an indirect effect on the position of the blade as it exits the upper wheel, but that is not its primary purpose.

Neither of these two 'guide' bearings are adjustable towards or away from the back of the blade. i.e. they are 'fixed'. The blade 'should' always bear against them both.

Only the upper 'backup bearing' is adjustable towards/away from the back of the blade. It should be adjusted to be quite close to touching the back of the blade, and will do so as cutting pressure moves the blade into it. The 'close' clearance should be the same at all vertical positions of the blade guide post.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

JPG40504 wrote:A small 'point' of clarification.

The 'autotrack'(upper left) bearings control the positioning of the blade as it approaches the upper wheel.

The 'lower' guide bearing controls the positioning of the blade as it approaches the lower wheel. It also has an indirect effect on the position of the blade as it exits the upper wheel, but that is not its primary purpose.

Neither of these two 'guide' bearings are adjustable towards or away from the back of the blade. i.e. they are 'fixed'. The blade 'should' always bear against them both.

Only the upper 'backup bearing' is adjustable towards/away from the back of the blade. It should be adjusted to be quite close to touching the back of the blade, and will do so as cutting pressure moves the blade into it. The 'close' clearance should be the same at all vertical positions of the blade guide post.
I worked on my bandsaw some more earlier today and found that the lower bearing assembly had moved (I didn't tighten it well enough when I put it back on). I moved it back in position re-tightened and the saw purrs like a kitten. The back of the 1/4" blade rides against the tracking bearing and the lower bearings.

Thanks guys!!!!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

claimdude wrote:I worked on my bandsaw some more earlier today and found that the lower bearing assembly had moved (I didn't tighten it well enough when I put it back on). I moved it back in position re-tightened and the saw purrs like a kitten. The back of the 1/4" blade rides against the tracking bearing and the lower bearings.

Thanks guys!!!!
Yayyyyyyyyyy!!!:):):):):):):):):):)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jjj240
Gold Member

Re: Bandsaw Bearings

Post by jjj240 »

is anyone please willing to part the set of bearings if it was purchased as a bulk?
macgyver
Silver Member

Post by macgyver »

I have also done the Carter bearings on the bandsaw and saw a vast improvement in the cutting. I will look into the backup bearings as well. Thanks
r33tc0w
Silver Member

Post by r33tc0w »

Bump - any one selling sets of these?
r33tc0w
Silver Member

Post by r33tc0w »

Well, decided to buy all the parts to make the double-bearing assembly, seemed easy enough - bearings from amazon all other parts in 18-8 stainless from mcmaster.

I've also noticed the case cover on the top right is frighteningly close to the top wheel. It doesnt appear bent or damaged and everything lines up but it's probably 1/8" away from the wheel. Is this normal?
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

r33tc0w wrote:Well, decided to buy all the parts to make the double-bearing assembly, seemed easy enough - bearings from amazon all other parts in 18-8 stainless from mcmaster.

I've also noticed the case cover on the top right is frighteningly close to the top wheel. It doesnt appear bent or damaged and everything lines up but it's probably 1/8" away from the wheel. Is this normal?
I replaced the guides in mine with the Carter guides recently, but I didn't replace the back bearing behind the blade. I would be curious to know which parts numbers you went with and how your installation goes. Were you able to get the quantity that you needed, or did you have to buy extras?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
r33tc0w
Silver Member

Post by r33tc0w »

Bearings: Pack of 10 for $8
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8 ... UTF8&psc=1

Got one extra of the items that didn't come in a pack. I think I got the right stuff, the nuts shown in that .pdf posted somewhere in this thread show only 1/8" - 3/16" thick and i believe the ones i got are 7/32" thick so hopefully this isn't a hindrance.

The cost was about the same as buying shopsmiths version and but piecing it together gives me backups. I'll give an update when i get all the pieces in and installed
Attachments
mm.jpg
mm.jpg (156.29 KiB) Viewed 19415 times
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

r33tc0w wrote:Bearings: Pack of 10 for $8
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8 ... UTF8&psc=1

Got one extra of the items that didn't come in a pack. I think I got the right stuff, the nuts shown in that .pdf posted somewhere in this thread show only 1/8" - 3/16" thick and i believe the ones i got are 7/32" thick so hopefully this isn't a hindrance.

The cost was about the same as buying shopsmiths version and but piecing it together gives me backups. I'll give an update when i get all the pieces in and installed
Sounds like you might have extra on most of the pieces then. If so and you won't to defray some costs, let me know if you want to send me a set and I can pay you. Just send me a private message and we can coordinate. Thanks.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor