Bandsaw Bearings

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hi Jack --
My bandsaw is still configured like stock, but the following VXB bearings (upper and lower near the cutting action) replace the original "wide" Shopsmith bearings exactly (just using rubber seals rather than metal shields):
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit12217

If you do ldh's modification, then some pairs of bearings of the following size would be called out:
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/1ASB-1

Good luck!
Chris
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Thanks Chris!! I think I am going for idh's modification.

Jack
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

ldh wrote:Paul,
I have finished the drawing so I will post them at this time. I scanned the drawings into PDF as not all of the folks use a CAD program. The part numbers that I have listed in the drawing will get you the parts you need, but all are welcome to use what ever works best for them. As I have said before, there are always new ways to skin the cat. I hope folks comment on what they see and get the ideas flowing.

LDH
LDH,

I started my bearing upgrade last night after having obtained the parts per your drawings from McMaster Carr. The Guide bearings installed and aligned perfectly. When I installed the lower bearings with the listed shims etc the center of the bearings is about 3/16" to the left of the blade. This is with the bracket moved as far to the right as possible. I am thinking I can remove the last shim (.0625") and see if that will work. Do you have any suggestions? This is a 2004 model bandsaw. Photos attached.

[ATTACH]19887[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]19888[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]19889[/ATTACH]
Thanks
Jack
Attachments
2013-01-08 21.31.09_resized.jpg
2013-01-08 21.31.09_resized.jpg (22.06 KiB) Viewed 22267 times
2013-01-08 21.31.37_resized.jpg
2013-01-08 21.31.37_resized.jpg (19.35 KiB) Viewed 22262 times
2013-01-08 21.32.28_resized.jpg
2013-01-08 21.32.28_resized.jpg (20.33 KiB) Viewed 22264 times
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Jack
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Jack, do you have the correct bearings -- 608-2RS that are 8 x 22 x 7mm, the 7mm being the width of the bearing?
Art in Western Pennsylvania
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'm not sure which bearings I used. A thinner bearing would make a difference and I'll check later today. However, which ever bearings I used, I had to file a bit off of the bracket to allow the bearings to "move right".

Couldn't wait for daylight. I went out and checked. I am using two pair of 627-27/C3GJN bearings.

PS My numbers do not cross but I think any quality 627 will work.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Dusty, your bearings measure 7x22x7mm and the only difference between them and the 608s is the inside diameter. Yours being 7mm and the 608s being 8mm.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

claimdude wrote:LDH,

I started my bearing upgrade last night after having obtained the parts per your drawings from McMaster Carr. The Guide bearings installed and aligned perfectly. When I installed the lower bearings with the listed shims etc the center of the bearings is about 3/16" to the left of the blade. This is with the bracket moved as far to the right as possible. I am thinking I can remove the last shim (.0625") and see if that will work. Do you have any suggestions? This is a 2004 model bandsaw. Photos attached.

[ATTACH]19887[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]19888[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]19889[/ATTACH]
Thanks
Jack

Jack,
Having installed my modification on several SS Bandsaws I have found that some of the lower guide brackets #5025809 have to be finessed with a bit of grinding. I use a small die grinder or a dremel tool. With a bit of patience you will find the 608 bearings will work well. I have the Carter bearing system on my Delta and as I recall they use a 608 also.
Larry
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

ldh wrote:Jack,
Having installed my modification on several SS Bandsaws I have found that some of the lower guide brackets #5025809 have to be finessed with a bit of grinding. I use a small die grinder or a dremel tool. With a bit of patience you will find the 608 bearings will work well. I have the Carter bearing system on my Delta and as I recall they use a 608 also.
Larry
Idh,

How do I get the bearings moved to the right that much? I can leave off the .0625 shim in your drawings and get me part of the way there. Are you saying I should grind the right tab (on the inside next to the bearings) that the bearing bolt screws into so the tab is thinner allowing the bearing assembly to move further right?

Thanks again for your help.

Pennview,

Yes, I have the 608-2RS bearings 8mm shaft, 22mm diameter and 7mm width

Dusty,

Your bearings according to McMaster are the same diameter and width as mine but the ID that goes over the shaft is 7mm (small than mine but the brass bushing I used makes up the difference.

Thanks again guys!

Jack
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

claimdude wrote:Idh,

How do I get the bearings moved to the right that much? I can leave off the .0625 shim in your drawings and get me part of the way there. Are you saying I should grind the right tab (on the inside next to the bearings) that the bearing bolt screws into so the tab is thinner allowing the bearing assembly to move further right?

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks again guys!

Jack
Jack,
You will need the .0625 shim for clearance and you may still find that you have to remove a bit of metal to allow the bearing to move freely. Make sure you have removed the upper blade guides and have the auto-trak assembly installed and a bit of tension on the blade. Raise the height lock handle to the high position then to the low position and note where the blade is in relation to the lower bearings. If you see a change from high to low you will need to adjust the upper guide. If the blade position in relation to the bearings does not change you will need to further elongate the adjustment holes in the lower bracket. As I said earlier it takes a bit of finesse to get it all working together, but you will be pleased with the results.
Larry