Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More

Post by JPG »

No me did not create the skf, but I do recall providing measurements to 'someone' here.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I have just returned from a week in Dayton Ohio and am beginning the task of cleaning up, squaring and despeckling a cache of photos and other materials Dr. Hans Goldschmidt gave Shopsmith from his personal collection for records preservation several decades ago.

Bob Folkerth provided me access to that cache of information that I will make available in the coming weeks and months in My Google Drive.

See link on the first page of this thread.

Today I posted a photo (in a large format PDF) of the first Shopsmith made 0001 which closely resembles the patent application, more than it does the 10E.

I took extensive photographs in the factory in Dayton and can attest personally that many of the early 10E / 10ER's used in the production of the early machines, and later the 1950's Mark 5, are still in use today.

They are providing the same machining accuracy they have for the last 60 years as they produce the Power Pro Mark 7 to the exactly same dimensions, and tolerances.

See New Folder "From Dr. Hans Goldschmidt"

Everett
Last edited by everettdavis on Thu May 24, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Wow, this is great. We will finally see some things that we have only speculated about in the past. Everett, you are truly wonderful. Thank you!!! :) :) :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:Wow, this is great. We will finally see some things that we have only speculated about in the past. Everett, you are truly wonderful. Thank you!!! :) :) :)
That is an understatement on ALL counts!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I started to put this in the Hans Tidbits thread, or in the First Shopsmith ever made thread but considering it has both Drawings and Photos alike, I decided this would be a better choice since it will be in the My Google Drive at some point, and certainly in the upcoming book.

There's not much in the Hans Sub-directory yet but I am working on that. From the names alone, you can see some of what's coming.

Back to this issue....

Hans Goldschmidt said in an interview with John R. Folkerth what drove him to create the 5 in one woodworking tool in the first place. The interview came as John R. Folkerth visited with Hans Goldschmidt and his wife Ilsa at their California home in 1979.

"I brought (Shopsmith) model to Bob (Chambers) for him to tell me what I should do with it. From there I bought a Drill Press and used that as the headstock. I also bought an old saw and a saw table and took a couple of knobs off my chair and built a working machine.

Although I personally found nothing in the files that I scanned from Hans’s collection in May 2018 in Dayton, to confirm it was this drill press, the photo of sn 0001 did.

I did some parallel research externally and I found out that the Drill Press he used for a prototype Headstock in the vintage of a 1930 - 1940 Craftsman. I used 1940 model 101.03622 for the parts illustration I mocked up.

I have attached a photo of two from VintageMachinery.Org of that era and cut away some of the components in an illustrated parts list of one them to allow folks to see the roots of the prototype. Hans added a wooden plate below, and crafted the two rail system that remains to this date.

Remember, his invention premise was to take 5 existing tools and combine them in such a way that one powerhead (Headstock) could drive them yielding more tools in less space for less money.

The 1940's parts list had part names for drill presses in general that remained in the Shopsmith nomenclature.

Things such as Quill, Spindle etc. were commonplace terms in the industry. - Everett
Craftsman Drill Press Used By Hans for Prototype showing how machines could be combined into 5 tools.png
Craftsman Drill Press Used By Hans for Prototype showing how machines could be combined into 5 tools.png (873.83 KiB) Viewed 24156 times
Edit: This should help you visualize it better....
Hans Prototype with Craftsman Drill Press head for headstock.png
Hans Prototype with Craftsman Drill Press head for headstock.png (833.89 KiB) Viewed 24152 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:I started to put this in the Hans Tidbits thread, or in the First Shopsmith ever made thread but considering it has both Drawings and Photos alike, I decided this would be a better choice since it will be in the My Google Drive at some point, and certainly in the upcoming book.

There's not much in the Hans Sub-directory yet but I am working on that. From the names alone, you can see some of what's coming.

Back to this issue....

Hans Goldschmidt said in an interview with John R. Folkerth what drove him to create the 5 in one woodworking tool in the first place. The interview came as John R. Folkerth visited with Hans Goldschmidt and his wife Ilsa at their California home in 1979.

"I brought (Shopsmith) model to Bob (Chambers) for him to tell me what I should do with it. From there I bought a Drill Press and used that as the headstock. I also bought an old saw and a saw table and took a couple of knobs off my chair and built a working machine.

Although I personally found nothing in the files that I scanned from Hans’s collection in May 2018 in Dayton, to confirm it was this drill press, the photo of sn 0001 did.

I did some parallel research externally and I found out that the Drill Press he used for a prototype Headstock in the vintage of a 1930 - 1940 Craftsman. I used 1940 model 101.03622 for the parts illustration I mocked up.

I have attached a photo of two from VintageMachinery.Org of that era and cut away some of the components in an illustrated parts list of one them to allow folks to see the roots of the prototype. Hans added a wooden plate below, and crafted the two rail system that remains to this date.

Remember, his invention premise was to take 5 existing tools and combine them in such a way that one powerhead (Headstock) could drive them yielding more tools in less space for less money.

The 1940's parts list had part names for drill presses in general that remained in the Shopsmith nomenclature.

Things such as Quill, Spindle etc. were commonplace terms in the industry. - Everett

$matches[2]

Edit: This should help you visualize it better....

Hans Prototype with Craftsman Drill Press head for headstock.png
Everett, you are truly a blessing to our community. :) Thank you for all you are doing. That picture of the first SS is amazing. It is very easy to see how it morphed into the first production 10E's.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Brother Everett, you are a true Shopsmith hero. Well done my friend!
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Put me on the list for a copy of the book!(whatever the cost)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Put me on the list for a copy of the book!(whatever the cost)

Me too!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Hans Goldschmidt's idea of having 5 or more tools driven from a single power source was not a new concept as can be seen from the stationary 1932 Sears Driver Power Home Workshop driven by a single motor.

This was being marketed 15 years before the 1947 Shopsmith invention. Indeed even this Driver Based Power Workshop was a scaled down version of the Waterwheel with distributed Belt and Pulley Systems in use in factories, and borrowed from those design elements.

What made Hans invention so unique was the mobility and convertibility of advanced capacity (compared to hobby or craft) power tools to another all driven by the same headstock, and the multiple ways in which adjustments could be made between tools while retaining the table tilt and miter angles between tool setups that could be stored in the space of a bicycle.

Everett
1932 Driver Based Home Workshop from Sears Illustration.png
1932 Driver Based Home Workshop from Sears Illustration.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 23964 times