Wiring Diagram

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pastor99
Bronze Member

Wiring Diagram

Post by pastor99 »

Well, I've gotten myself into another fine mess. On a 1956 ShopSmith, the power cord was shot so I decided to replace it. While I was at it, I thought I'd replace the cord from the safety key box/receptacle to the motor. That should be easy.
By the time I got all the pieces out, the wires were all disconnected and pretty much rotted through.
So, I've got a motor with 3 wires coming out of it, A relay? with 3 terminal posts, a capacitor with 2 posts and a switch with 4 posts ... and a power cord ready to attach to something.

From the motor:
A white wire connecting to the left side of relay with a long wire and spade connector attached to that.
A red wire connecting to the right side of relay
A short green wire with a spade connector.

On the capacitor:
A black wire running to the right side of relay
An empty terminal post.

The relay has 3 wires attached as explained above.

The switch has nothing attached yet but did have a black, a white and a green wire attached.

The colors of the wires are guesses because they have all turned very dark over the years.

Can anyone offer any guidance to this silly old man who should have been more careful when he was taking this apart?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Wiring Diagram

Post by JPG »

pastor99 wrote: . . .
So, I've got a motor with 3 wires coming out of it, A relay? with 3 terminal posts, a capacitor with 2 posts and a switch with 4 posts ... and a power cord ready to attach to something.

From the motor:
A white wire connecting to the left side of relay with a long wire and spade connector attached to that.
A red wire connecting to the right side of relay
A short green wire with a spade connector.

On the capacitor:
A black wire running to the right side of relay
An empty terminal post.

The relay has 3 wires attached as explained above.

The switch has nothing attached yet but did have a black, a white and a green wire attached.
. . .
GE_75HP_WiringDiagram.JPG
GE_75HP_WiringDiagram.JPG (31.84 KiB) Viewed 7162 times
ge_75hp corrected.jpg
ge_75hp corrected.jpg (57.93 KiB) Viewed 7162 times

An ohmmeter would be helpful.

Both drawings show a wire at the 'top' of the motor.

Resistance between that wire and the two at the bottom will vary. One will be less than one ohm.(run) Connects to the capacitor and the switch.

The other will be very few ohms.(start) Connects to relay #2.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pastor99
Bronze Member

Post by pastor99 »

Thanks for that. One of the things confusing me is that the motor has only 3 wires, red, white and green.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

pastor99 wrote:Thanks for that. One of the things confusing me is that the motor has only 3 wires, red, white and green.
Made in the days before green meant ground.

I believe the original colors were white, black and red.

White is the 'common' lead(connects to both the run and the start windings), black (run) and red(start).

Your 'green' motor wire most likely was black originally.

First time you turn it on, be prepared to quickly turn it off(just in case).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pastor99
Bronze Member

Post by pastor99 »

I gave it a shot while the motor was out of the head and it seems to work. Thank you very much for your help.