Mucking About With the Molder

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Mucking About With the Molder

Post by algale »

I worked in the framing department of my college art museum and made a lot of frames. But we did NOT make our own molding. We had a huge supply of molding we used to build our frames.

The angles for this test joint were made on the Shopsmith using the Incra v120 and then touched up with the disc sander. Then a rub joint using Titebond Liquid Hide Glue. http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx?id ... 7daa20f8ed (Shipwright would NOT approve of this premixed, cold version of hide glue). I would reinforce the joint if it were a real frame versus an experiment.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Mucking About With the Molder -- All That Glitters

Post by algale »

Many years ago my wife bought a package of metal leaf, i.e. faux gold leaf, for a forgotten project and it never got used. Decided to try it out. Unfortunately the spray adhesive/sizing was past its expiration date and came out lumpy and not consistent. I think I will try a brush on sizing next time. With a little practice no one will ever know that this is a 2 x 6.
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg (157.44 KiB) Viewed 6206 times
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

The first two pieces of art are mounted, matted and framed. I am out of practice on cutting and decorating mats but got a pretty good double mat. Then I got cocky and decided to add the pinstripes and that's where I blew it. Oh well.

The actual frame started life as a 2 x 6. After dimensioning the profile was cut using the Shopsmith molding head with just part of a single profile with the table tilted to 12 degrees. The wife did the antique gold leaf finish. She wanted a simple profile for these. The frame for the painting is yet to be done but will have more embellishment.
FullSizeRender(1).jpg
FullSizeRender(1).jpg (97.91 KiB) Viewed 5608 times
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg (78.93 KiB) Viewed 5608 times

rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

That looks really good! I don't see a thing wrong with the pin striping. It adds a lot to the presentation ...

Nicely executed! :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Looks GREAT. It looks like the only thing about the pin striping is. That ONLY YOU see it, so don't tell. :D
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:Looks GREAT. It looks like the only thing about the pin striping is. That ONLY YOU see it, so don't tell. :D

I see a couple and will never tell either! :D :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

ALGALE says he messed up ("blew it") on pin striping. This will most likely be the only place it is ever mentioned. Got to believe algale, but I don't see any goofs! Nearly all of us don't either.

Very nice work, algale! :D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

That's beautiful work. I always wanted a molder, but I never bought one because I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. Now you have me thinking again about buying one. :eek:
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

I have a molder and a few sets of knives but I think I have only used it once in the nearly 40 years I've owned my Shopsmith. May have to break it out again if you can do this kind of work with it.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I am definitely inspired. Nice work ! I have been paying a local framing shop to do the matting for me. Everytime I have tried it did not turn out so well. Time to master it. That is beautiful work. What are you using for a matte cutter ?
Paul